When it comes to working, entrepreneurs have a bad habit of never switching off. However, to help recharge those mental batteries, even the brightest workaholics know they need a dose of fun, relaxation, and even diversion to keep the creative juices flowing.
Since most of your finanical resources are flowing into the business, vacations need to be cheap but still offer access points (a.k.a., free and always available Wi-Fi!) when you need to reconnect.
Here are five cheap holidays for the entrepreneurs out there who need some time away:
1. Backpacking in Europe: It's not just for college kids or those looking to find themselves. If anything, it is one of the cheapest ways to experience numerous countries and cultures while keeping the budget small. Thanks to youth hostels, rail tickets, and cheap eats, you will pay less, see more, and still have access to technology, including Wi-Fi at most youth hotels and a plethora of Internet cafes.
2. Soaking up the Mediterranean: Another country's economic pain can be your gain. With the country struggling to stay afloat, there are bargains everywhere, including flights, accommodations, and meals. These locales offer stunning beaches, non-stop night life, incredible food and a laid back vibe that reminds you to kick off your sandals and - maybe - even set your phone on siesta mode.
3. Take a Cruise - My wife and I love to take cruises. Cruises range in price from $300-$1500 for the decently priced one (they go as high as you want). We find it's about $100 a night per person but this includes everything from food and drink to room and board. This is a very cheap vacation. Some of our favorite cruises include Holiday Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines. Both have been 2-11 day cruises and an excellent escape for an entrepreneur like myself.
4. Taking it to the Jungle: If you can't see the forest for the trees in your business life, then you might want to take a cheap trip into the jungles of a Central American country like Costa Rica, Nicaragua, or Guatemala. Not only are these countries some of the most affordable in the world, but they also offer modern conveniences, a warm welcome, and a culture that insists you discover the benefits of the "maana" philosophy. Both my wife and I speak Spanish so this also helps.
5. Gambling in Las Vegas: If you want to keep your trip domestic, there's plenty of fun to be had in Sin City. You don't have to be far from home to play hard! Join every player's club you can, stay off strip or in the newly revitalized downtown, and enjoy discount coupons wherever you go. If a flight is required to get you there, those air trips are some of the cheapest around. I can literally get a round trip ticket for under $100 from San Francisco. My friends in NYC have gotten $200 tickets before. Great quick trip. If you're willing to walk 10-15 minutes to get to the strip, the Psalms is a great cheap place to stay
6. Volunteering Within: As an entrepreneur, you may find the idea of doing absolutely nothing pure hell and get more enjoyment and relaxation out of staying busy. A cheap vacation idea is to turn that time into a volunteer-cation. There are tour companies, such as Global Volunteers, which specialize in planning domestic and international trips that involve building houses, teaching English, or providing guidance on starting local businesses. Many of these organizations deliver a free trip in exchange for your time. Not only can you enjoy a holiday in some extraordinary parts of the world, you will also feel good about what you are doing and gain a new perspective which just might help you with your own ventures.
As an entrepreneur, it is easy to get caught up in the day to day of running your business and forget to take care of your self. Just like you need to make sure you get enough sleep and eat well, you also need to make time to relax. What are your favorite budget travel spots? Please share in the comment below!