If you plan to hire employees in the next twelve months, you need to know a new trend is emerging: the rise of the celebrity recruiter. That’s right, to get the best talent, your recruiters will need to brand themselves as rockstars. Here’s why…
The ‘sophisticated job seeker’ only works with pros.
Today’s job seekers see themselves as a businesses-of-one who are looking to partner with companies that share their purpose, values, and passion. They expect you to be as professional as they are–and that starts with your recruiters. We recently surveyed more than 1,000,000 people over at CAREEREALISM. 76% said they would like to know more about a recruiter before they decide to apply to their open positions. Why did they want this information? Here are the top 4 reasons:
1) Get a leg-up on the hiring process.
2) Get an inside view on the company.
3) Determine a way to stand out.
4) See if the recruiter is “qualified” to recruit for my skill set.
In my opinion, that last one is important because it shows a shift in the way talent looks for jobs. They want to work “with” recruiters, not “for” them in the hiring process. They expect to partner with only the best recruiters. What information about a recruiter will help them make a decision?
Here’s what they told us:
- Background with the company
- Skills and knowledge-level about the positions
- Career history
- Track-record as a recruiter
Interesting, isn’t it?
Turns out, job seekers are being discriminatory. Why the focus on gender, age, and nationality? We asked and they told us they want to use the information to anticipate what prejudices a recruiter might have against them by learning more about them as a person. Job seekers see the best recruiters to work with as diverse and accomplished. That’s why recruiter branding is so important going forward. Your recruiters represent your company. If today’s sophisticated job seeker doesn’t like what they see represented, they won’t bother to apply. With that in mind, it’s time companies gave recruiters the tools and resources they need to provide the level of credibility and accessibility talent expects of them.
Here are 4 things every recruiter needs to brand themselves successfully.
At the very least, every recruiter today needs the following to prove they are a true professional, working for a good employer:
- Optimized LinkedIn profile. Recruiters need to practice what they preach. Fill out their profiles completely, giving talent what they need to see they are accomplished in their recruiting career.
- Comprehensive LinkedIn & Glassdoor company pages they can link to. Our studies show 81% of all talent will research your company online to make sure it has a presence on these two sites. If not, they will assume your company isn’t established or credible enough and won’t apply. Make sure you have these pages completed and filled with the right information to help candidates learn more about the organization’s culture. Your recruiters need to look like they work for a legit company that cares about its employment brand.
- Dedicated Careers Page on the corporate website they can showcase. Companies need to see hiring as an extension of their corporate brand. A dedicated page says the company is investing in resources to make sure the best talent can learn about them more easily. Again, giving your recruiters the credibility they need.
- Additional 3rd-party credibility showcasing their unique recruiter brand. Recruiters who take the time to write and post valuable information on blogs, featured recruiter sites, and social media are sending a message to candidates that this isn’t just their job–it’s their career! Plus, it builds their own expert status, helping them to attract a better quality candidate. I hope this information helps employers see how important it is to let recruiters have the celebrity status they need. Recruiter branding is the smartest way to attract the top talent you seek.
P.S. If you are a recruiter reading this and say "yes, that's me!" I invite you to visit CAREREEALISM, a website dedicated to showcasing recruiter brands to more than 1,000,000 sophisticated job seekers. Want to get your recruiter brand in front of top talent? Submit your information here to become part of an elite group of recruiters we exclusively showcase to top talent so you can use your expertise and reputation to increase the quantity and quality of the talent applying to your open positions.