At first, I thought it was a job scam. A joke. But, a little research proved it was legit. Companies are doing this thing referred to as a, "Snowflake Test." One employer using this technique recently sent the list of 100 job interview questions below to a potential candidate who is a friend of mine.
Got Thoughts On Bullying, Religion, Politics, Guns & Millennials?
It appears no topics are off limits with this employer. They want your personal views on a wide range of subjects. Jeff Sessions and the DNC are up for discussion, and your thoughts on lazy Millennials are welcomed too. And, while not technically illegal interview questions, this does lead me to think...
Controversial? Yes. Smart? I'm Not So Sure...
By requiring applicants to answer all 100 of these questions (and, easily taking three hours out of their day for zero guarantee of a return), the company is improving the efficiency of its hiring process by:
A) weeding out people who don't share their views, and
B) making sure the people who apply have the work ethic they desire.
That said, I can't help but think in light of the recent Facebook profile scandal this company will soon find themselves slapped with a discrimination lawsuit. Why? One could argue gathering this much information would make it easy for them to potentially discriminate based on religion, age, gender, nationality, disabilities and sexual orientation - all of which are illegal. As we've learned, with enough information, companies can make pretty accurate assumptions about a person's preferences and traits - even if they don't share them outright.
I'm curious INC readers, would you answer all of these to get a job? If so, why?
1. What's the best way to communicate with clients?
2. What's your favorite thing to do in your free time?
3. What are your thoughts on the current college environment as it pertains to a future workforce?
4. What's your typical breakfast?
5. What's your favorite drink when you go to a coffeehouse?
6. Outside of standard benefits, what benefits should a company offer employees?
7. What should the national minimum wage be?
8. How many sick days should be given to employees?
9. How often should employees get raises?
10. How do you feel about guns?
11. What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
12. What are your feelings about safe spaces in challenging work environments?
13. What are your thoughts about the Justice department Jeff Sessions and also the former FBI Director James Comey?
14. Should "trigger warnings" be issued before we release content for clients or the company that might be considered "controversial"?
15. How do you feel about police?
16. If you owned the company and were to find out that a client is operating unethically but was a high paying client...how would you handle it?
17. When was the last time you cried and why?
18. You arrive at an event for work and there's a major celebrity you've always wanted to meet. What happens next?
19. What's your favorite kind of adult beverage
20. How do you handle bullies?
21. How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down?
22. What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it's a terrible idea?.......
23. What does the first amendment mean to you?
24. What does faith mean to you?
25. Who is your role model and why?
26. "You're in Starbucks with two friends. Someone runs in and says someone is coming in with a gun in 15 seconds to shoot patrons. They offer you a gun. Do you take it? What do you do next?"
27. What does America mean to you?
28. You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
29. What does "privilege" mean to you?
30. What's more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?
31. What are your thoughts on the current events at the NFL, the Commissioner, Colin Kaepernick & NFL Owners?
32. What are your thoughts regarding people that have never taken a sick or personal day?
33. What are your thoughts regarding people that always show up early and stay late "off the clock"?
34. What do you expect to be doing in 5 years? 15 years? 25 years?
35. What are your weaknesses? Why?
36. What are your strengths? Why?
37. What is your greatest achievement? Why?
38. Describe yourself in one word? Why?
39. Describe your spiritual life?
40. What are your thoughts about the recent news bombshell that has verified the DNC chair stole the nomination away from Bernie and rigged things for Hillary to be the nominee against Trump?
41. What did you like least about your last job? Explain why?
42. What are your thoughts about "neat freaks" or overly organized people?
43. Give an example of when you felt you went above and beyond what was asked of you?
44. How do you handle people that annoy you?
45. Tell me about a time you had to give someone difficult feedback?
46. What has been your greatest failure and what did you learn from it?
47. What are your thoughts about people that value their work over meeting their friends out?
48. What are your thoughts on the conservative movement in colleges today?
49. What are your thoughts on the Liberal movement in colleges today?
50. How would you like improve yourself over the next year?
51. What would be your ideal work environment?
52. If I asked your last supervisor to provide professional development for you, what would they suggest?
53. How would your worst enemy describe you?
54. How would your best friend describe you?
55. Do you think a good leader should be feared or respected?
56. Tell me one thing about yourself that you wouldn't want me to know?
57. What is the last book you read?
58. What is your favorite childhood memory?
59. If you were to describe yourself as an animal, which would you choose and why?
60. If you were to describe yourself as Disney Character, which would you choose and why?
61. Would you describe yourself as an Alpha or Beta personality and why?
62. Would you describe yourself as a perfectionist? Why?
63. What does gratefulness mean to you? Why?
64. Tell me about your first vehicle? When did you get it? What kind? How did you get it? Where did you get it from? Why did you get it? Who helped you?
65. Tell me about your first job?
66. What does your typical lunch look like?
67. What are your thoughts about work attire? Why? Casual Fridays?
68. What are your thoughts about workaholics? Why?
69. What are your thoughts about people that are too happy or positive?
70. You finish all the work required of you several hours early on a Friday at 11am, what do you do next?
71. How does this position compare to others you are applying for?
72. Why do you want to leave your current job?
73. What are you most proud of in your career?
74. Have you ever considered being an entrepreneur?
75. What kind of boss and coworkers have you had the most and least success with, and why?
76. If you could work for any company, where would you work?
77. Tell us about your sleep habits? Consistently or inconsistently early or late to bed? Early or late to wake?
78. Why should we take a chance on you since everyone says they are the best person for the job etc...?
79. How do you define success?
80. What career regrets do you have?
81. What would you do if you won $10 million tomorrow?
82. Have you ever been asked to compromise your integrity by your supervisor or colleague? Tell us about it.
83. Can you give us a reason someone may not like working with you?
84. Tell me about a time you disagreed with a company policy.
85. How will you make time for this interview? Where will your boss think you are when you meet us?
86. What's a difficult situation that you turned around? Describe it to us.
87. What do you expect this position to be like?
88. What are your salary expectations?
89. Why did you pick your school/major/minor?
90. What aspect of this position makes you the most uncomfortable?
91. What was the biggest success you had at your last job?
92. What was the biggest failure you had at your last job?
93. Tell me about the best supervisor you've ever had.
94. Tell me about the worst supervisor you've ever had.
95. Tell me about your dream job.
96. Have you ever been asked to leave a position? Tell me about the experience.
97. Can you explain why you changed career paths?
98. Can you explain why you switched jobs to your last one prior to looking now?
99. What are your thoughts about the stereotype that Millennials are lazy, entitled, narcissistic, hedonistic, consumed with social media, opportunistic and ungrateful?
100. You have a big client meeting rapidly approaching and you are helping your supervisor with preparations but you realize things won't be done prior to the meeting first thing in the morning; what do you do?