As a content marketer, it's crucial to understand how your target market engages online. If you can't answer the following questions, your campaign reach and engagement might suffer:
To better understand how digital content consumption differs by generation, Content marketing agency, Fractl and influencer marketing CRM, BuzzStream surveyed over 1,200 people from three generations - Millennials (people who born in between 1981-1997), Generation X (born 1965-1980), and Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964).
Here's what we learned.
1. Baby Boomers spend more time consuming content than any other generation.
2. Evening, between 8 p.m. and midnight, is when most people consume content.
3. More than a quarter of Millennials use mobile as their primary device for viewing content.
4. The favorite and least favorite content types remain consistent across all generations.
5. Don't be too wordy; all generations agree that 300 words is the sweet spot for article length.
6. Facebook leads the way for sharing in every generation, but Generation X uses Twitter as a primary content sharing platform 70.4% more than Baby Boomers.
7. Millennials prefer sharing memes 54.76 percent more than Baby Boomers, and Baby Boomers prefer sharing images and videos the most.