As a content marketer, it's crucial to understand how your target market engages online. If you can't answer the following questions, your campaign reach and engagement might suffer:
- How much time does your target market spend consuming content?
- What time of day does their content consumption peak?
- Which device do they use to view content?
- What are their most and least consumed content formats?
- What are their most shared visual content formats?
- How long are the written articles they enjoy reading?
- Which social platforms do they use most often to share content?
To better understand how digital content consumption differs by generation, Content marketing agency, Fractl and influencer marketing CRM, BuzzStream surveyed over 1,200 people from three generations - Millennials (people who born in between 1981-1997), Generation X (born 1965-1980), and Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964).
Here's what we learned.
1. Baby Boomers spend more time consuming content than any other generation.
2. Evening, between 8 p.m. and midnight, is when most people consume content.
3. More than a quarter of Millennials use mobile as their primary device for viewing content.
4. The favorite and least favorite content types remain consistent across all generations.
5. Don't be too wordy; all generations agree that 300 words is the sweet spot for article length.
6. Facebook leads the way for sharing in every generation, but Generation X uses Twitter as a primary content sharing platform 70.4% more than Baby Boomers.
7. Millennials prefer sharing memes 54.76 percent more than Baby Boomers, and Baby Boomers prefer sharing images and videos the most.