This time of year is supposed to be a season of gratitude, but too often it becomes a time of nothing but stress. Some people need reminders of how to keep perspective, stay positive, and revel in life's joy.
Not everyone thinks gratitude is an easy or desirable thing. Joseph Stalin said, "Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs," but actually, dogs are great at saying thanks. They practically make themselves ill expressing their enthusiastic gratitude for even the smallest gift. Acknowledging life's every little miracle is a habit that humans would benefit to learn. What a wonderful change it would be to view the world through grateful eyes.
I realize brutal dictators may not be the ideal role models for expressing gratitude, so here are 16 quotes from wiser minds to remind you to say thanks every day:
- "Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all ." ? Marcus Tullius Cicero
- "Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude." ? Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not." ? Seneca
- " noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude." ? A.A.
- "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of ; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." ? G.K. Chesterton
- "In normal life we hardly realize how much more we receive than we give, and life cannot be without such gratitude. It is so easy to overestimate the importance of our own achievements compared with what we owe to the help of others." ? Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in belong to us as well." ? Voltaire
- "When a person doesn't have gratitude, something is missing in his or her . A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude." ? Elie Wiesel
- "Got no checkbooks, got no banks. Still I'd like to express my thanks - I got the in the mornin' and the moon at night." ? Irving Berlin
- "It has been said that life has treated me harshly; and sometimes I have complained in my heart because many pleasures of human have been withheld from me...if much has been denied me, much, very much, has been given me." ? Helen Keller
- "I am happy because I'm grateful. I choose to be grateful. That gratitude me to be happy. ? Will Arnett
- Give yourself a gift of five minutes of contemplation in of everything you see around you. Go outside and turn your attention to the many miracles around you. This five-minute-a-day regimen of appreciation and gratitude will help you to focus your life in awe." ? Wayne Dyer
- "Gratitude, warm, sincere, intense, when it takes of the bosom, fills the soul to overflowing and scarce leaves room for any other sentiment or thought." ? John Quincy Adams
- "The unthankful heart discovers no ; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings." ? Henry Ward Beecher
- "At the age of 18, I made up my mind to never have another in my life. I dove into an endless sea of gratitude from which I've never emerged." ? Patch Adams
- "It's a sign of when you demonstrate gratitude with moderation." ? Roberto Benigni