I have never been a good golfer. It takes time, patience and consistency. Even with practice you have to get a lot right just to be decent. Arnold Palmer took the same approach to life that he did with his golf and he was a master of both. Palmer believed that the "golf course is a place where character reveals itself," and he lived that belief during every game. His competitors frequently commented on his courtesy and friendliness, whether he won or lost. Fans admired his passion and determination. Sports commentators talked about his discipline and persistence.
Even though he has been immortalized in a concoction of ice tea and lemonade, Mr. Palmer will be missed for his charm and likeability. He always had something to say that would inspire and delight. Here are 17 quotes from Palmer on character and success to motivate you to make your best effort both on the green and off.
1. "Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger."
2. "Success in this game depends less on strength of body than strength of mind and character."
3. "The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done."
4. "Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you."
5. "The road to success is always under construction."
6. "Putting is like wisdom - partly a natural gift and partly the accumulation of experience."
7. "What do I mean by concentration? I mean focusing totally on the business at hand and commanding your body to do exactly what you want it to do."
8. "Winning isn't everything, but wanting it is."
9. "The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge."
10. "The more I practice the luckier I get."
11. "I'm not much for sitting around and thinking about the past or talking about the past. What does that accomplish? If I can give young people something to think about, like the future, that's a better use of my time".
12. "Trouble is bad to get into but fun to get out of. If you're in trouble, eighty percent of the time there's a way out."
13. "Here is a philosophy of boldness to take advantage of every tiny opening toward victory."
14. "I can only tell you one thing that I do know for sure, I am a dreamer. There are not many people that will recognize or want to recognize the fact that they are dreamers in their own life ... I continue to get up in the morning, enthusiastically, and go pick up a golf club with a thought that I can somewhere find that secret to making the cut. That's just an example, but it applies to other things in life, too, and that's the way I live and the way I think and the way I feel."
15. "You must play boldly to win."
16. "Establish a system you have confidence in and rely on it when you get into tough situations."
17. "Swing your swing. Not some idea of a swing. Not a swing you saw on TV. Not that swing you wish you had. No, swing your swing. Capable of greatness. Prized only by you. Perfect in it's imperfection. Swing your swing. I know, I did."