With Halloween next week, the holiday season is near. That means the amount of time left for working in 2017 is minimal. I find this to be a great time of reflection on the events of the year so far. For me it has come with many accomplishments and surprises. Happily, I experienced few disappointments.
It's easy to just be done at this point and begin the holiday revelry. You might find yourself tempted just to coast to the end thinking, "I'll just save my mental energy and start fresh in the new year." But the last quarter, like the last few miles of a race, is a great time to dig deep and aim to excel. Much can be accomplished in a few short weeks. After all, while everyone else is pulling up, the winner is often the one who finds the strength for one more burst of speed.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes to help you finish strong.
1. "No one has a problem with the first mile of a journey. Even an infant could do fine for a while. But it isn't the start that matters. It's the finish line." ? Julien Smith
2. Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment. ? Thomas Carlyle
3. "There we both sat and rested for a while, facing the rising sun the way we'd climbed, for looking back can sometimes help you on." ? Dante
4. "Don't tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done." ? James Ling
5. "Small steps add up to complete big journeys." ? Matshona Dhliwayo
6. "Stopping at third adds no more to the score than striking out. It doesn't matter how well you start if you fail to finish." ? Billy Sunday
7. "Whenever you have taken up work in hand, you must see it to the finish. That is the ultimate secret of success. Never, never, never give up!" ? Dada Vaswani
8. "The last thing you want to do is finish playing or doing anything and wish you would have worked harder." ? Derek Jeter
9. "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." ? Calvin Coolidge
10. "We will go to the moon. We will go to the moon and do other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard." ? John F. Kennedy, Jr.
11. "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ? Robert Frost
12. "If the word quit is part of your vocabulary, then the word finish is likely not." ? B.G. Jett
13. "Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're the lion or an antelope - when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." ? African Proverb
14. "The high cost of greatness is better than the low cost of mediocrity." ? Matshona Dhliwayo
15. "The beginning is the word and the end is silence. And in between are all the stories." ? Kate Atkinson
16. "The opposite of the happy ending is not actually the sad ending-the sad ending is sometimes the happy ending. The opposite of the happy ending is actually the unsatisfying ending." ? Orson Scott Card
17. "We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves, otherwise we harden." ? Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
18. "Remember no matter how fast you run, you can't be the winner if you don't finish." ? Israelmore Ayivor
19. "Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending." ? Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
20. "Starting strong is good. Finishing strong is epic." ? Robin Sharma
21. "For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning." ? T.S. Eliot