Who doesn't love something about Oprah Winfrey? Whether you started learning from her (like I did) when she started her talk show in the '80s or feel inspired by her weight loss approach today, this is a woman who has permeated the media and changed lives with her amazing talents. Some are even calling for Oprah to run for president in 2020.
She's had a hand in TV, stage, movies, books and magazines as a producer, publisher, actor, director, host and promoter. It seems virtually everything she touches as an entrepreneur turns to gold, which is why Forbes listed her as the 5th richest self-made woman in the U.S. and is the first and only, female, African-American multi-billionaire.
Oprah's amazing life has not just been about money. She grew up in rural Mississippi to a teenage single mother and started working in radio at age 19. With grit and tenacity, she then boosted a third-rated local Chicago talk show to first place and a star was born in syndication.
Her accolades today speak for themselves. She has received Honorary Doctorates from both Duke and Harvard Universities and was Awarded the Presidential Medal of Honor. That's on top of her nomination for an Academy award. Always a giver, by 2012, she had given away $400 million to educational causes and in 2013 she donated $12 million to Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture. She famously gave away a few cars to those in need as well.
You may not get a car from this woman today but you can certainly get a boost in attitude from her words.
1. "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
2. "Turn your wounds into wisdom."
3. "Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment."
4. "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."
5. "The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams."
6. "Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher."
7. "Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."
8. "You can have it all. You just can't have it all at once."
9. "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
10. "Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure."
11. "The reason I've been able to be so financially successful is my focus has never, ever for one minute been money."
12. "You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job and not be paid for it."
13. "The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work."
14. "With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice."
15. "Every time you state what you want or believe, you're the first to hear it. It's a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don't put a ceiling on yourself."
16. "The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance--and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning."
17. "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe."
18. "If you don't know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it."
19. "Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness."
20. "We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are."
21. "I don't think of myself as a poor deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who, from an early age, knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good."
22. "If I lost control of the business, I'd lose myself--or at least the ability to be myself. Owning myself is a way to be myself."
23. "Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you."