When I was 12 years old, I stood in line for three hours to see a new space adventure. I was so entranced I went back six times over the next several days to see it again. For the next 38 years, I, like many others, would quote Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Han Solo, among others.
George Lucas, one of the greatest entrepreneurs in this star system, did not simply create a fantasy empire or a business empire. He established a philosophy, one that has shaped our culture for decades. So much of what Lucas created in the series is applicable in business and in life.
The memorable moments of the Star Wars series are countless, and so are the inspirational quotes from the characters, and of course their creator. Enjoy them below, use them in your journey, and let the Force be with you.
1. "If you want to be successful in a particular field, perseverance is one of the key qualities."
2. "You have to find something that you love enough to jump over hurdles and break through the brick walls."
3. "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11-year-old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."
4. "A lot of people like to do certain things, but they're not that good at it. Keep going through the things that you like to do until you find something that you actually seem to be extremely good at. It can be anything."
5. "My first six years in the business were hopeless. There are a lot of times when you sit and you say 'Why am I doing this? I'll never make it. It's just not going to happen. I should go out and get a real job, and try to survive.'"
6. "You simply have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Put blinders on and plough right ahead."
7. "I took over control of the merchandising not because I thought it was going to make me rich, but because I wanted to control it. I wanted to make a stand for social, safety, and quality reasons. I didn't want someone using the name Star Wars on a piece of junk."
8. "Right or wrong, this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it."
9. "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
-Yoda tells Anakin that fearing loss makes one greedy, thus in turn making one more apt to turn to the dark side. (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
10. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
-Yoda tells Anakin the consequences of having fear. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
11. "Always pass on what you have learned."
-Yoda tells Luke as he dies. He wants Luke to turn into a teacher and keep the culture of the Jedi alive and well. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
12. "That is why you fail."
-Luke tells Yoda that he cannot believe that the little guy lifted his X-Wing out of the swamp. Yoda's response is to assert that Luke's lack of faith is the reason for his failure. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
13. "If once you start down the dark side, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
-Yoda to Luke. Once you make a morally questionable decision, you will start a cycle that will end in your own destruction. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
14. "If you end your training now-if you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did-you will become an agent of evil."
-Yoda doesn't want Luke to run into a battle he isn't ready for. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
15. "Patience you must have, my young Padawan."
-Yoda tells an impatient Luke at the start of his training. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
16. "A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.... All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."
-Yoda notes how Luke simply cannot keep himself focused on the present moment, but is instead always looking to run before he can walk. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
17. "You must unlearn what you have learned."
-Yoda tells Luke at the start of their relationship. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
18. "In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way."
-Yoda says this as he returns to Coruscant with Obi-Wan Kenobi to uncover what has happened in the Jedi Temple. (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
19. "You will know when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."
-Yoda tells an angst-ridden Luke. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
20."Truly wonderful the mind of a child is."
-Yoda says this to Obi-Wan about the purity of innocence and the insights that can be gleamed from listening to fresh ideas. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
21."The fear of loss is a path to the dark side."
-Yoda to Anakin, after the latter asks about losing a loved one. Yoda tells him that fear of loss will lead to an unstable emotional state that will eventually push him down the dark path. (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
22. "Do or do not. There is no try."
-Likely one of the most iconic Star Wars quotes, Yoda says this to Luke after the latter questions his own abilities to pick the ship out of the swamp using the Force. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
23. "Only what you take with you."
-Yoda's final comment to Luke as the latter prepares to enter a dark cave. Luke asks what he should bring with him. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
24. "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
-Yoda says to Luke after Luke complains that his sinking X-Wing is too big to lift up using the Force. Yoda tells him that size makes no difference. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
25. "Wars not make one great."
-Yoda tells Luke. In the context of all six films, this is Yoda's response to the disillusionment he experienced after fighting in the Clone Wars. He knows that battling and fighting is ultimately fruitless due to the losses of life one must endure for its sake. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
26. "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
-Yoda on predicting the future. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
27. "Much to learn you still have...my old Padawan."
-Yoda tells Count Dooku as the two face off for the first time. Yoda wants to temper Dooku's arrogance. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
28. "Greed can be a very powerful ally."
-Qui-Gon Jinn, as he prepares to make a deal with one of the junk dealers on Tatooine. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
29. "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
-Qui-Gon Jinn to the rambling Jar Jar Binks. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
30. "Your focus determines your reality."
-Qui-Gon Jinn tells Anakin. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
31. "Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think, use your instincts."
-Qui-Gon Jinn tells a nervous Obi-Wan Kenobi as the two enter an uncertain situation. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
32. "There's always a bigger fish."
-Qui-Gon Jinn's observes that there are always bigger obstacles awaiting you. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
33. "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."
-Obi-Wan provides some advice for Luke, who is frustrated by the training exercise. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
34."Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view."
-Obi-Wan Kenobi tells Luke after revealing that Darth Vader and Anakin are not the same person, despite occupying the same body. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
35. "Who's more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
-Obi-Wan tells Han Solo after the latter complains of their having to hide in the compartments of the Millennium Falcon. Obi-Wan is defending his plan by pointing out that Han Solo opted for being a follower instead of bringing his own wisdom to the situation. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
36. "In my experience, there is no such thing as luck."
-Obi-Wan tells Han Solo after the latter claims that there is no Force controlling everything. He sees life as random and fortuitous. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
37. "Use the Force, Luke."
-Obi-Wan tells Luke as he makes the trench run to destroy the Death Star. Obi-Wan is asking Luke to switch off his targeting computers and use his impulse and feeling to deliver the death knell. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
38. "The Force will be with you always."
-Obi-Wan reassures Luke as they see one another for the last time. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
39. "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
-Obi-Wan's words to Darth Vader as they duel on the Death Star. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
40. "Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin. They will betray you."
-Obi-Wan's guidance to the ever-impetuous Anakin as he dreams of a romance with Padm. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
41. "I can feel you anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger."
-Chancellor Palpatine's words to Anakin as the two confront one another for the first time. Palpatine's identity as Darth Sidious is now out in the open. Instead of dwelling on frustration, one can use it to focus one's mind and strengthen resolve. (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
42. "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
-Darth Vader confronts an imperial general for questioning the power of the Force. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
43. "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
-Darth Vader tells Obi-Wan Kenobi during their final confrontation on the Death Star. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
44. "The Force is strong with this one."
-Darth Vader as he tries to take down Luke in the Death Star trench. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
45. "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life. So you might say that we are encouraged to love."
-Anakin reinterprets the Jedi code, acknowledging that love and compassion are crucial to his role. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
46. "Sometimes we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us."
-Padm tells Anakin as the two head to Naboo as fugitives. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
47. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
-Luke comes to terms with his true identity in front of the evil emperor, moments after taking down his own father in a duel. In this moment, Luke refuses to accept turning to the Dark Side. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
48. "You serve your master well. And you will be rewarded."
-Luke tells one of Jabba's minions upon entering his palace. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
49. "I'll not leave you now. I've got to save you." "You already have."
-Luke and Anakin Skywalker's final exchange on the Death Star. Anakin acknowledges that his son has already done all he can to redeem him. (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
50. "Great, kid. Don't get cocky."
-Han Solo tempers Luke Skywalker's enthusiasm after he shoots down an Imperial TIE fighter. (Episode IV: A New Hope)
51. "Never tell me the odds."
-Han Solo in response to C3PO telling him the odds of surviving an asteroid field. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
52. "I am not a committee."
-Princess Leia responds to Han Solo when he refuses to acknowledge her point of view. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
54. "You have your moments. Not many of them, but you have them."
-Princess Leia tells Han Solo as a compliment after he saves them from an asteroid field. (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
55. "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war."
-Queen Amidala makes this statement when attacking the Trade Federation is brought up as a potential plan. She refuses to start a war, preferring a diplomatic solution. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
56. "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee."
-Queen Amidala tells Senator Palpatine that she is unwilling to sit around without being proactive. Her next move is to return to her planet to save her people from the occupation of the Trade Federation. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)
57. "Now, be brave and don't look back. Don't look back."
-Shmi Skywalker tells her son Anakin as he embarks on a journey that will change his life. (Episode I: The Phantom Menace)