The tradition of Halloween grew out of pagan rituals from thousands of years ago. They believed that as summer faded into winter, the line between the living and the dead became particularly blurred. Today, society celebrates Halloween with costumes, decorations, and candy. It's fun and festive, a time that allows people to explore another side of themselves in a safe environment.
But Halloween could also be a time for self-exploration. Just as the pagans believed the divide between the living and the dead was thin, so too could be the line between the person you are and the person you want to be. I suggest you don a costume that represents what you aspire to. You could dress up as a superhero, to represent the courage you're trying to build to confront a major challenge. You could dress up as a professional athlete, to inspire the work ethic you know you n need to succeed. Or you could dress up as a witch, because you know you're so fierce that others should fear you.
Whether you're donning a costume to reveal your true self, or to give yourself the courage to try something new, let Halloween be your opportunity to be what you really want to be. Here are quotes to inspire your spooky self-discovery:
- If human beings had genuine courage, they'd wear their costumes every day of the year, not just on Halloween." - Douglas Coupland
- "Magic is really very simple, all you've got to do is want something and then let yourself have it." - Aggie Cromwell, "Halloweentown"
- "On Halloween, witches come true; wild ghosts escape from dreams. Each monster dances in the park." - Nick Gordon
- "Halloween is not only about putting on a costume, but it's about finding the imagination and costume within ourselves." - Elvis Duran
- "She used to tell me that a full moon was when mysterious things happen and wishes come true." - Shannon A. Thompson
- "A person should always choose a costume which is in direct contrast to her own personality." - Lucy, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"
- "On Halloween you get to become anything that you want to be." - Ava Dellaira
- "Clothes make a statement. Costumes tell a story." - Mason Cooley
- "The farther we've gotten from the magic and mystery of our past, the more we've come to need Halloween." - Paula Guran
- "The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him." - Garrett Fort
- "A witch ought never be frightened in the darkest forest because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her." - Terry Pratchett
- "There is nothing that gives more assurance than a mask." - Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette
- "Halloween is one day of breaking out of your shell, one day you can be completely expressive, where the world gives you license to dress up." - Chris March
- "I love that in celebrating Halloween, we can get lost in the magic of make-believe and fantasy no matter what age we are!" - Natalya Neidhart
- "Halloween is all about being bold, daring, and creative! You get to be someone else for the night thanks to makeup and a costume." - Jeffree Star