It is a red letter day in a red letter year for Star Wars fans. May the Fourth (or May-the-Force) is a day to celebrate the films' legacy as well as the philosophy of its Jedi warriors. And since the first Star Wars film debuted on May 25, 1977, this is the 40th anniversary of the opportunity to wish someone "May the Fourth be with you!"
I am wishing you a Happy May 4th with this collection of 40 quotes assembled from the eight films that take place within George Lucas's iconic universe. I hope the Force will be with you as you try to integrate their lessons into your personal and professional life.
Star Wars (Or A New Hope) (1977)
1. "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."
-As Obi-Wan encourages Luke in training, sometimes you have to go with instinct over what seems obvious.
2. "Who's more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"
-Obi-Wan reminds Han Solo of the importance of choosing your own path and taking action.
3. "In my experience, there is no such thing as luck."
- Han Solo, as a ship captain, expresses the importance of strategy and the need to watch for both threats and opportunities.
4. "The Force will be with you always."
-Obi-Wan reassures Luke during their final exchange.
5. "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
-Obi-Wan reminds Darth Vader that failure can make anyone stronger if they harness the ability to learn and adapt.
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
6. "A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.... All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."
-Yoda reminds Luke to stay focused on the present moment, instead of trying to run before he can walk.
7. "You must unlearn what you have learned."
-Yoda wants Luke to rethink his point of view to truly learn from the master.
8. "Do or do not. There is no try."
-One of the saga's most iconic lines, Yoda emphasizes the importance of committing to an action in order to succeed at it.
9. "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
-When Luke gives up too quickly, Yoda emphasizes the importance of mind over matter.
10. "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
-Yoda reminds Luke of the problem with trying too hard to predict the future.
Return of the Jedi (1983)
11. "Always pass on what you have learned."
-Yoda, on his deathbed, reminds Luke that knowledge must be shared to survive.
12. "If once you start down the dark side, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
-Yoda's warns Luke that bad, questionable, or hastily made decisions could lead to your own destruction.
13. "Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view."
-The ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi confronts Luke cautions Luke about how perspectives change over time, and how our own beliefs influence our view of the world.
14. "You serve your master well. And you will be rewarded."
-Luke uses a trite mantra to get the better of Jabba's minions.
15. "I'll not leave you now. I've got to save you." "You already have."
-Luke and Anakin Skywalker's final exchange on the Death Star, in which father reminds son that small actions can reap great changes.
The Phantom Menace (1999)
16. "Now, be brave and don't look back. Don't look back."
-Shmi Skywalker's final bit of advice to her son Anakin, which he ignores to his peril.
17. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
-Yoda reminds a young Anakin of how negative emotion can control a person.
18. "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
-Qui-Gon Jinn does his best to influence impulsive Jar Jar Binks.
19. "Your focus determines your reality."
-Qui-Gon Jinn attempts to help Anakin find a path forward in life after a significant loss.
20. "Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think, use your instincts."
-Qui-Gon Jinn reminds a young Obi-Wan Kenobi of the importance of avoiding distraction.
Attack of the Clones (2002)
21."Truly wonderful the mind of a child is."
-Yoda remarks on the fresh insights that a young child can provide.
22. "Much to learn you still have...my old Padawan."
-Yoda reminds Count Dooku's of the danger of arrogance during their big showdown.
23. "Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin. They will betray you."
-Obi-Wan's advice to Anakin, who spends more time in his dreams than in the reality around him.
24. "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life. So you might say that we are encouraged to love."
-Anakin gives Padme his interpretation of the Jedi code, in which love and compassion are crucial to their role.
25. "Sometimes we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us."
-Padme urges Anakin that there are times when we must think beyond ourselves.
Revenge of the Sith (2005)
26. "The fear of loss is a path to the dark side."
-Yoda's warning to Anakin about the instability caused by the fear of losing what one possesses.
27. "I can feel you anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger."
-Chancellor Palpatine knows that Anakin's strength and focus comes from an inner range and he is doing his best to manipulate it.
28. "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
-Yoda's advice to Anakin, emphasizing the need to let go of ego and material possessions to be truly free of fear.
29. "In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way."
-Yoda acknowledges the importance of knowledge in navigating difficult times.
30. "I have taught you everything I know. And you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be."
-Every mentor's hope, Obi-Wan praises his apprentice Anakin Skywalker for his growth and development into a powerful Jedi.
The Force Awakens (2015)
31. "I know how to run without you holding my hand!"
- Rey asserts her independence when Finn tries to overprotect her.
32. "The Resistance will not be intimidated."
- Poe Dameron demonstrates the importance of standing up to villainy.
33. "Women always figure the truth. Always."
- Han Solo's sage advice to Finn after catching him in a lie.
34. "The Light - It's always been there. It'll guide you."
-Maz Kanata's counsels Rey that there is always a way out of doubt.
35. "Chewie, We're home."
- Han Solo's famous quote that announces the return of the series. No sage advice. It's just awesome.
Rogue One (2016)
36. "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me."
-Churrut Imwe uses this as a mantra throughout the film to give himself strength.
37. "Be careful not to choke on your aspirations."
-Darth Vader shuts down a subordinate who shows arrogance.
38. "The time to fight is now."
-Jyn Erso makes the statement to rally the rebellion when all hope is lost.
39. "Save the Rebellion. Save the Dream."
-Saw Gerrera utters these final words to Jyn to encourage her on the mission to save the galaxy.
40. "It's a chance for you to make a fresh start."
- Mon Mothma reminds Jyn that there is always a chance for redemption.