There are lots of things you can say about Christopher Columbus, not all of them good. He stumbled onto a land he didn't seek, and didn't find immediate access to the gold he wanted. So instead, he forced natives into labor or sold them into slavery. When even the Europeans got tired of him, he lost his economic and political power.
Still, Columbus certainly had a certain wanderlust. From a young age, he was already living a life of adventure. He had plenty of doubters (who, as it turns out, were right) on his theories about travel to Asia, but he was undaunted. He willingly led an expedition of 3 wooden ships on a route he thought no one had found before, without knowing whether his ships were strong enough or whether his supplies would last long enough. Ultimately, he made 4 journeys to the Americas, traveling all over the Caribbean and along parts of the coast of Central and South America. When he saw opportunity, he seized it, no matter how risky.
Whether you see him as a hero or villain, Columbus was undoubtedly an adventurer. Here are quotes to help inspire you to seek adventure in your own life:
1. "In all parts of the Old World, as well as of the New, it was evident that Columbus had kindled a fire in every mariner's heart. That fire was the harbinger of a new era, for it was not to be extinguished." ― Charles Kendall Adams
2. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ― Helen Keller
4. "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." ― John A. Shedd
5. "Don't die without embracing the daring adventure your life was meant to be." ― Steve Pavlina
6. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" ― Hunter S. Thompson
9. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ― H. Jackson Brown Jr.
10. "Columbus did not seek a new route to the Indies in response to a majority directive." ― Milton Friedman
11. "If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock." ― Arthur Goldberg
14. "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." ― T.S. Eliot
16. "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore." ― André Gide