The MLB playoffs are in full swing. This week will determine the National League and American League pennants and the World Series matchup. It's been a long time since the season began in April - certainly no one thought the Washington Nationals would be in this position - but these teams have earned their spots. And they've done it by persevering and working together.
No baseball team can win a championship with just one player. It takes a collective group effort to make it through the slog of the regular season, endure through the playoffs, and have the killer instinct to clinch the whole thing. Similarly, companies cannot succeed without a team effort. The whole group needs to buy into the goal, believe in the chosen strategy to get there, and know their teammates will see them through to the end. The result is greater than the sum of its parts.
No man is an island. Here are baseball playoff quotes to remind you why teamwork makes the dream work:
1. "October baseball is what it's all about." - James A. Winnefeld, Jr.
2. "I'd rather be in a good position in the playoffs and holding up a World Series trophy than holding up an MVP trophy." - Aaron Judge
3. "A manager has to convince his hitters that they have to get on base for the next guy and that no player can do it by himself. Sometimes that isn't easy. In the playoffs, you can get into trouble because everybody wants to be a hero." - Earl Weaver
4. "You can keep going on and on about the interactions of people, which makes it a great drama and great event, and you'll always hold that special, but if you're looking at a baseball moment, the feeling you get when you win the World Series by far exceeds anything else in the game that you're able to do." - Cal Ripken, Jr.
5. "It's not how you start the season, it's how you finish. If you wind up helping the team make the playoffs, that's what you play for. You don't play to put up your numbers, but to try to get a chance to make it to the World Series." - Albert Pujols
6. "We don't just say this every spring training - 'Playoffs, World Series.' You've got to do it." - Giancarlo Stanton
7. "The Cubs, we built one of best farm systems - I think for a while there, it was the best farm system in baseball. And that was great. It got a lot of attention. But we didn't want the credit for the farm system. What we wanted was to see if we could do the tricky part, which was turn a lauded farm system into a World Series champion." - Theo Epstein
8. "You don't get a chance to go to the playoffs and World Series very often, but to be able to experience it with the people you love most in the world is really fun." - Ben Zobrist
9. "When you make the playoffs, it's like you've done your job for the team. I've got that moment in my mind all the time, and I want to be there again." - Asdrubal Cabrera
10. "It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." - A. Bartlett Giamatti
11. "I really want to have a possibility of going into the Hall of Fame one day. I think that's huge with a lot of baseball writers and old school guys. Of course, that's not the main goal - the main goal is winning a World Series. Hall of Fame is so far away. It's just something I've always thought about doing. I want to be as clean as I can." - Bryce Harper
12. "It's hard to win a pennant, but it's harder losing one." - Chuck Tanner
13. "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club wont be worth a dime." - Babe Ruth