I'm preparing to head off to Africa on a work-cation. What's that, you ask? Often when I travel, it's a combination of work and pleasure. When I travel to meet with clients, I always try to fit in some leisure activities. It may be sightseeing, a walk by the beach, or connecting with an old friend. And when I travel for pleasure, I always try to make it productive. I try to meet up with a former colleague or connect with a LinkedIn contact.
This approach may require a certain shift in attitude. It means I never fully disconnect from work. For some, that may pose a challenge, as they're used to being more or less mentally shut down during vacations. Instead, I've had to accept that work never really goes away, but in return, both work and leisure have become more pleasurable. Work feels more fun, and vacations are guilt-free.
It's a good reminder that work doesn't have to be a chore. Here are quotes on making your job feel less like work:
1. "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs
2. "Let's have fun at work." - Tyra Banks
3. "Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha." - Robert Brault
4. "When we go out there, we have fun, but we get to work, and I think we're at our best when we're having fun. Having fun is key." - Ezekiel Elliott
5. "The key to success is not through achievement but through enthusiasm." - Malcolm Forbes
6. "To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone." - Reba McEntire
7. "Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle
8. "Doing nothing is very hard to do. You never know when you're finished." - Leslie Nielsen
9. "Find a job you like and you add five days to every week." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
10. "Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work." - Ralph Marston
11. "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called everybody, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey
12. "Work for the fun of it, and the money will arrive some day." - Ronnie Milsap
13. "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?" - Edgar Bergen
14. "There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?" - Warren Buffet
15. "If you have fun and keep a good attitude, people want to work with you." - James Marsden
16. "I realized the more fun I had, the more relaxed I was working, the better I worked." - Bill Murray
17. "You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off of you." - Maya Angelou