They say fear is "false evidence appearing real," and it's no wonder that people generally don't like feeling it. Sure, some say fear gets their adrenaline pumping and allows them to perform at their peak under pressure. But for many other people, fear is a paralyzer. They don't know how to handle it, and they avoid it. They'll make sub-optimal decisions just to avoid feeling it. The problem is that rewards generally don't come without at least some risk.
Besides, fear can be good for you - even great for you! Feeling that stress is an opportunity to identify exactly what is worrying you, and why. Is the business decision you're trying to make really what is causing you fear, or is it something related that's holding you back from making the right decision? Facing your fears is a chance for personal and professional growth. Staring down your own doubts can also give you clarity on what you must to do to get to the next step.
Here are quotes that explore the many benefits of fear:
- "Halloween wraps fear in innocence, as though it were a slightly sour sweet. Let terror, then, be turned into a treat..." - Nicholas Gordon
- "I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized, and I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life." - J.K. Rowling
- "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela
- "Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it!" - Jack Skellington, "Nightmare Before Christmas"
- "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important." - Steve Jobs
- "Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom." - Bertrand Russell
- "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less." - Marie Curie
- "Fears are educated into us, and can, if we wish, be educated out." - Karl Augustus Menninger
- "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death." - James F. Byrnes
- "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears." - Rudyard Kipling
- "Fear can be good when you're walking past an alley at night or when you need to check the locks on your doors before you go to bed, but it's not good when you have a goal and you're fearful of obstacles. We often get trapped by our fears, but anyone who has had success has failed before." - Queen Latifah
- "We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality." - Seneca
- "Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." - Marcus Aurelius
- "Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear." - Dale Carnegie
- "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'" - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear." - George S. Patton
- "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I'm like, 'My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don't have it. I just want to chill.' We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it." - Kobe Bryant
- "One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford
- "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure." - Paulo Coelho
- "I've learned that fear limits you and your vision. It serves as blinders to what may be just a few steps down the road for you. The journey is valuable, but believing in your talents, your abilities, and your self-worth can empower you to walk down an even brighter path. Transforming fear into freedom - how great is that?" - Soledad O'Brien