The sun emits a billion kilowatts of energy per hour, yet we can deflect most of its harmful effects with an ultra-thin application of sunscreen or a visor, which diffuses its energy. On the other hand, a laser beam focuses only a few kilowatts of energy. Yet this relatively weak source of energy can cut a diamond in half, correct your vision and even help certain types of cancer!
Laser-like clarity puts you on the fast track to excellence. The most important decision in life is to determine what is most important. Your time and energy are your most precious resources. Saying 'Yes' to something by default means saying 'No' to something else. So, focus your precious resources on what is most important to you.
I like to say, the most important decision in business (and in life) is to decide what is most important.
Here are 9 more quotes to help sharpen your focus.
- Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- If you don't know where you are going, you will end of someplace else. - Yogi Berra
- Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
- I try to learn from the past, but I plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present. That's where the fun is.--Donald Trump
- Most people have no idea of the giant capacity we can immediately command when we focus all of our resources on mastering a single area of our lives.--Anthony Robbins
- The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time. -Sydney Smiles
- If you surrender completely to the moments as they pass, you live more richly those moments. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- It is not good to have an oar in everyone's boat. - Earl Camden
- Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there. -Josh Billings
See The Nature of Excellence for 100+ more inspiring quotes.