Los Angeles is the land of sunshine and palm trees, swoon-worthy beaches, and the dreams of millions. While most imagine people flocking to LA seeking fame and fortune in the entertainment industry, there's a new "wave" of LA dream-seekers. Instead of reels and headshots, they come armed with Github profiles and entrepreneurial spirit. Although LA's tech industry is certainly not new, it's clearly getting hotter every day.
Tech giants like Google and Facebook are expanding their campuses, Silicon Valley VCs are spending more and more time visiting LA startups, and there's a group of later stage businesses that will hopefully result in a new class of tech entrepreneurs and investors. So why exactly is LA so hot right now? Here are five simple reasons.
- There's an abundance of creative talent. Those who might have originally been attracted to the lure of Tinseltown have been able to apply their talents to tech. Graphic designers, copywriters, marketers, photographers, and more are helping make LA's consumer tech products simply irresistible.
- LA is a city of many cities. New York and San Francisco, the other two tech centers, are urban, hyper-condensed, and overly crowded. The challenges that people experience in their day-to-day lives living in New York or San Francisco are vastly different than folks who live in say, Dallas. As a result, products are often built in a bubble. LA, on the other hand, is sprawling and very diverse with many different types of communities. Therefore, LA companies have a better view of what the rest of the country needs and wants.
- Influencers abound to help grow your brand. Almost everyone in LA knows someone who knows someone famous. If they aren't on the silver screen or on television, they at least have a popular YouTube channel or millions of Instagram followers. This far-reaching influencer network to pull from is incredibly handy when you are trying to grow a young company. How many real celebrities live in Silicon Valley?
- Top notch universities house the next generation of tech talent. LA's universities have proudly produced some of the best engineers in the country. In fact, the Valley has always come down to poach from this pool of rising talent. With the current buzz around great LA tech companies, LA brands are now able to recruit and retain talented young people in every category.
- Location, location, location. While LA is still a very expensive city to live in, it is the cheapest of the three major markets. I don't care how much money you make in San Francisco, good luck buying a home! Oh, and in Los Angeles, there isn't a blustery, stormy winter, we have sunshine year round, and you can ski and surf in the same day. Who wouldn't want to live here?!