Podcasts continue to grow in popularity as a convenient way to stay on top of all kinds of topics. As a result, the field is becoming steadily more crowded--a recent check of iTunes showed more than 100 podcasts with the word leadership in their title. Some are focused on special interests like sales, religion, or the issues faced by women in leadership--but there are some that stand out from the rest. Here are a dozen of the best:
1. Leadership and Loyalty, hosted by Dov Baron. Aimed at "Fortune 500 executives, family businesses, human resources professionals, and the Millennial generation," Leadership and Loyalty advocates an authentic form of leadership based on emotional intelligence and fearless honesty. Baron interviews authors, consultants, and leaders from all types of organizations on the kind of leadership that inspires fierce loyalty.
2. The Go-Giver, hosted by Bob Burg. The core concept comes from Burg's best-selling book The Go-Giver, which makes a case that focusing on providing value to others is the most fulfilling and profitable way to live and work. Each episode begins with a brief thought of the day, followed by a 15-minute interview. This is not only smart but valuable.
3. This Is Your Life, hosted by Michael Hyatt, is a podcast that focuses on helping overwhelmed high achievers win at work, succeed at life, and lead with confidence. Hyatt discusses the finer points of leadership, productivity, influence, personal development, and goal-setting in his show. This Is Your Life imparts wisdom, humor, and lessons on intentional living to young leaders and elite professionals alike. It's impactful and meaningful.
4. The Nice Guys on Business, hosted by Doug Sandler, shares real-life stories, successes, struggles, failures, and opportunities presented. Each episode is a conversation about life. The key rule of the show is very simple: Sandler has no rules and nothing is off limits. He is great at challenging his audience to turn off the negative tapes that are playing in our collective heads and to lead a positive life, filled with a pay-it-forward attitude, genuine kindness, absolute empathy, and compassion as our tools. This is not only a podcast about nice guys but a podcast how nice guys can finish first.
5. Coaching for Leaders, hosted by Dave Stachowiak. "Leaders aren't born, they're made" is the philosophy of this leadership podcast, with real-world actionable advice from expert guests. The first episode every month is devoted to questions from the global audience. An optional, free membership is available to listeners for access to Stachowiak's weekly leadership guide, additional MemberCasts, and more.
6. Dose of Leadership, hosted by Richard Rierson. Known as a unique and engaging interviewer, Rierson brings in guests that include NFL coaches, entrepreneurs, CEOs, investors, and authors. A special "best of" section provides highlights from his four years of archives.
7. Accelerate!, hosted by Andy Paul. Accelerate! primarily targets sales leaders, but it touches on fields that range from leadership to lead generation. Recent topics have included sales and marketing alignment, the neuroscience of decision making, and how to warm up cold calls. With new podcasts six days a week, there's a lot of compelling content.
8. The LEADx Show, hosted by Kevin Kruse. The New York Times best-selling author of Employee Engagement 2.0 interviews the hottest leadership experts five days a week. Each episode ends with the guest challenging listeners to get 1 percent better by trying out one specific idea from the show. If you want a daily tip from the world's best leadership coaches, this show is for you.
9. Engaging Leader, hosted by Jesse Lahey. In the 21st century, those who are changing the world aren't just leaders; they're engagers. Each episode provides tips on cultivating a team that is fully engaged with your organization's purpose. Topics include communication, productivity, culture, accountability, and more.
10. Leaders in the Trenches, hosted by Gene Hammett. Hammett's deep-dive discussions with fascinating leaders are aimed at helping listeners build new strategies for success and expand their knowledge of leadership, marketing, and sales.
11. Eternal Leadership, hosted by John Ramstead. Eternal Leadership podcast will equip and empower you with the why, what, and, most important, how of leading beyond influence. The mission of Eternal Leadership is simple: to help leaders so live their life that the use of their life outlives their life!
12. Leadership Biz Cafe, hosted by Tanveer Naseer. This podcast feels like you're sitting down for a cup of coffee with two leadership experts to learn about how to become that leader our employees need us to be. This show will teach you how to be the best leader you can be.
If you're already a podcast listener, find room in your schedule to give these top leadership podcasts a chance. If you're not, let them be your springboard to a way to turn downtime in the car or at the gym into a source of new knowledge and motivation to lead in a better way.