It is so easy to get wrapped up in what we don't have and haven't accomplished that we don't always realize what we do have. It's easy to feel like we're not doing as well as we should, but sometimes we have to pay attention and measure our progress more objectively.
Here are 12 signs you're actually doing much better than you may think. Maybe it's time you appreciate the strengths within you that you take for granted.
1. You learn from your mistakes. If you can convert your struggles and challenges into valuable lessons, you're definitely doing something right. Mistakes have the power to turn us into something better than we were before. If you acknowledge and learn from them, mistakes are among the greatest of teachers, and an important part of most success stories.
2. You seek new opportunities. If you're seeking new opportunities instead of sitting and passively waiting for the right chance to come to you, you've taken one of the most important steps toward success. Great things don't happen on their own, but life gets better when you treat every new opportunity as a way to expand and explore the possibilities before you.
3. You pursue your passions. If you are pursuing your passion and going after what you want, you are already better off than most people. Wildly successful people pursue their passions, while others refuse to let go of struggling with their problems.
4. You believe in yourself. It's one of those things that's easy to say but not so easy to actually do. We all harbor an inner saboteur who wants to keep us stuck--but it's your choice whether to listen to that negative inner voice or shout it down with faith in your own capabilities and strength.
5. You've mastered your mindsets. Our life is made up of our thoughts, and if you want to accomplish great things you have to learn to manage your mindset--the thoughts that become actions that become who you are. If you can manage a positive mindset, you can exert a positive control over your destiny.
6. You keep trying. It can be among the hardest of decisions: whether to give something up or try harder. But if you want something you've never had, you have to do things you've never done. When you stop trying is when you stop caring, but tenacity is the antidote to failure--whether it's real or potential.
7. You embrace challenges. You don't grow when things are easy but when you embrace your challenges. The greater the challenges, the greater the potential for growth and opportunity.
8. You face your fears. Most people see fear coming and run. But if you can face your fear, you become stronger than you were. Fear is nothing more than an obstacle to progress and achievement, but if you can treat is as you would any other obstacle, you'll be far better off than someone who had never been afraid.
9. You care for your health. It may be a cliche, but health really is one of the most important things you can possess. Your body is a priceless possession, and even if you're young and vigorous, it's important to take good care of it and appreciate it.
10. You help people. Success has nothing to do with what you gain but is all about what you do for others. If you are helping others and lifting others up, then you are more successful than most; the greatest success any of us can know is helping another grow and succeed.
11. You're free to do what you want. If you have freedom, you're far better off than all those who worry about what others will say or think. They don't have the luxury of doing what they'd like but are always second-guessing or defending their own choices.
12. You're not the same person you were last year. If you are still learning, still growing, still developing, congratulations. You're constantly adding value not only to yourself but those around you.
Check the list and ask yourself, are you really doing better than you think you are?