Life sometimes demands struggle, but when those times come, it's easy to become overwhelmed. When business is strenuous, partnerships are demanding, new ideas are laborious, and relationships are perplexing, we all face the temptation to give up.
But there are ways to handle the struggle, and among the most powerful tools for the job are words--words that encourage, motivate, and inspire us, that remind us to be strong and that better days are coming.
Here are some of the best:
1. "Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."--Marilyn vos Savant
2. "We need to be aware of suffering, but we must retain our clarity and strength so we can help transform the situation." --Thich Nhat Hanh
3. "It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." --Lou Holtz
4. "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." --Viktor Frankl
5. "Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate, and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed." --Paulo Coelho
6. "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." --Khalil Gibran
7. "What is the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity? Our attitude toward it. Every opportunity has a difficulty, and every difficulty has an opportunity." --J. Sidlow Baxter
8. "Relentless, repetitive self-talk is what changes our self-image." --Denis Waitley
9. "The individual who says it is not possible should move out of the way of those doing it." --Tricia Cunningham
10. "Opportunity often comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat." --Napoleon Hill
11. "We tend to steer our lives in the direction of the lessons we need to learn." --Don Campbell
12. "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me." --Walt Disney
13. "Talent is a wonderful thing, but it won't carry a quitter." --Stephen King
14. "It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."--Aristotle Onassis
15. "Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith."--Henry Ward Beecher
16. "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes." --William James
17. "I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate." --George Burns
18. "It shouldn't be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It's the things you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth. When something's difficult to come by, you'll do that much more to make sure it's even harder--or impossible--to lose." --Sarah Dessen
Remember, the bad times won't last forever. Take these quotes and others that speak to you and immerse yourself in them for as long as they're useful. Tape them to your mirror, put them on your screensaver and your phone's lock screen, print them out and carry them in your pocket--just keep their wisdom close at hand for when you need it.