On a gloomy Monday morning my team began sharing some data- cutting edge ways to boost motivation and productivity. When you're building a tech company intended to deliver both, staying on top of the latest mental and behavioral health trends is critical. I was expecting to see experiential, high-tech, VR stuff, but instead I looked at the screen and one word jumped out, laughter.
What was surprising, is how little we actually do it.
If these statistics don't alarm you, then let's take it one step further.
Research shows laughter is clinically proven to reduce your levels of stress hormones such as cortisol, epinephrine, and dopamine; increases health-enhancing hormones (such as endorphins) and infection-fighting antibodies; and improves blood flow to the heart- all resulting in greater relaxation, resistance to disease, and an improved mood and positive outlook greater than a surge of instagram likes.
Just in case your personal health isn't enough of a reason to bend over and belly laugh right now, here's one more.
Laughing can actually make you more productive.
According to a study at Northwestern, people are more likely to be better at problem solving if they are in a better mood. Researchers compared their performance after watching a funny video, to after seeing an anxiety-inducing clip. Unsurprisingly, they "solved more problems with insights" after getting in a laugh or two.
So, if you're ready to change the outcome of your day, or simply hit a lull and need to be more productive, here are a few hilarious quotes to put your new hack to the test.
- "I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin
- "When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye." - Cathy Guisewite
- "Accept who you are. Unless you're a serial killer." - Ellen DeGeneres
- "When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." - Rodney Dangerfield
- "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments." - Steven Wright
- "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde
- "According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two! Does that sound right? That means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy." - Jerry Seinfeld
- "A bank is a place that will lend you money, if you can prove that you don't need it." - Bob Hope
- "Just taught my kids about taxes by eating 38% of their ice cream." - Conan O'Brien
- "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?" - Robin Williams
- "If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?" -Tina Fey
- "By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day." - Robert Frost
- "Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure." - Anonymous
Like this article and want more? Sign up here and never miss a column.