Perseverance. Adversity. Triumph. Defeat. We will see it all left on the field, as Super Bowl LII is officially upon us!
Despite their physical prowess, mental toughness and myopic focus, every NFL player on the field seeks motivation to get in the zone for game day. From pregame pep talks, to post game speeches, the powerful rhetoric of Coaches, Owners, and team leaders is indisputably transformational in leading their cities to victory.
Here's a collection of my favorite motivational quotes from legendary Super Bowl greats. Use these, as I do, to advance your game.
- "It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight, but the size of the FIGHT in the dog." - Archie Griffin, Cincinnati Bengals
- "Are we underdogs again? Great! Great...I always root for underdogs...you know why? Tell them no one thinks you're going to win, you're not good enough and it doesn't register." - Jeffrey Lurie, Owner, Philadelphia Eagles
- "Talent sets the floor, CHARACTER sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
- "When you're GOOD at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're GREAT at something, they'll tell you." - Walter Payton, Chicago Bears
- "WINNING is not everything--but making the EFFORT to win is." - Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers
- "If what you did YESTERDAY seems big, you haven't done anything TODAY." - Lou Holtz, New York Jets
- "A CHAMPION is simply someone who did NOT give up when they wanted to." - Tom Landry, Dallas Cowboys
- "The man who complains about the way the ball BOUNCES is likely the one who DROPPED it." - Lou Holtz
- "If it doesn't matter who WINS or loses, then why do they keep SCORE." - Vince Lombardi
- "Your TALENT determines what you can do. Your MOTIVATION determines how much you are willing to do. Your ATTITUDE determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz
- "If you want to WIN, do the ordinary things BETTER than anyone else does them day in and day out." - Chuck Noll, Pittsburgh Steelers
- "Life is TEN percent what happens to you, and NINETY percent how you respond to it." - Lou Holtz
- "If you're not IN the parade, you WATCH the parade. That's life."- Mike Ditka, Chicago Bears
- "Today I will do what other WON'T, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others CAN'T." - Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers
- "Work isn't WORK unless you would rather be DOING something else." - Don Shula, Miami Dolphins
- "Remember, TOMORROW is promised to no ONE." - Walter Payton
- "We would ACCOMPLISH many more things if we did not think of them as IMPOSSIBLE." - Vince Lombardi
- "It takes 20 YEARS to build a reputation and 5 MINUTES to ruin it." - Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
- "There is NO substitute for WORK." - Vince Lombardi
- "Winning isn't getting ahead of OTHERS. It's getting ahead of YOURSELF." - Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys
- "Once you LEARN to quit, it becomes a HABIT." - Vince Lombardi
- "In order to WIN the game, you must first not LOSE it." - Chuck Noll
- "If you're not gonna go ALL the way, why go at ALL?" - Joe Namath, New York Jets
- "It's not whether you get knocked DOWN, it's whether you get UP." - Vince Lombardi
- "HUMBLE enough to prepare, CONFIDENT enough to perform." - Tom Coughlin, New York Giants
- "The superior man blames HIMSELF. The inferior man blames OTHERS." - Don Shula
- "If football taught me anything about BUSINESS, it is that you win the game one play at a time." - Frank Tarkenton, Minnesota Vikings
- "You do it ONE day at a time. You do it ONE player at a time and you do it ONE coach at a time." - Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles (in response to bringing a win to a city that hasn't won in quite some time)?
Like this article and want more. Sign up here and never miss a column.