The average person can save between $4,668 to $5,688 per year by working remotely. FlexJobs broke down the savings in six areas:
1. Gas: $686 saved per year.
2. Car Maintenance: $767 saved per year.
3. Dry Cleaning & Laundering: $500 to $1,500 saved per year.
4. Lunches & Coffee: $1,040 saved per year.
5. Professional Wardrobe: $925 saved per year.
6. Tax Breaks: $750 saved per year
TOTAL: $4,668 to $5,668.
Additionally, FlexJobs found that by not commuting to work everyday (based on an average commute time of 52 minutes), you can save an additional $4,867 per year.
Fortune 500 Companies Hiring Remote Workers
That begs the question: Why aren't more people doing this? If the prospect of working remotely from the comfort of your home, and saving enough money to afford an extra vacation or a down payment on that new car looks appealing, Amazon, Apple, Dell, and IBM (among other Fortune 500 companies below) are currently hiring remote workers. The good news for non-technical workers is that there are plenty of jobs available in other job functions.
While FlexJobs requires a sign-up process to view current job openings, here are some possible options based on previously listed remote jobs on the FlexJobs website.
Amazon remote jobs
- GM Administrative Assistant
- French Fluent - Work from Home Customer Service Associate
- Customer Service Representative
- Virtual Customer Service
- Senior Customer Advisor
- Security Architect Consultant
- Principal Advisory Consultant - State and Local Government and Education
- Technical Trainer
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Associate
Apple remote jobs
- Partner Relations Advisor
- Fraud Prevention Specialist
- Reseller Specialist
- Seasonal Specialist
- Customer Service and Safety Specialist
- At-Home Mac Expert
- On-site Medical Programs Specialist
IBM remote jobs
- Senior Security Architect
- Cyber Security Forensic Analyst
- Gemba Coach
- SVP and GM
- Business Development Director
- Technical Services Professional
- Senior Consultant
- Sales Manager
- Support Engineer
- Research Director
- Director, Client Services
- Accounting Analyst
Dell remote jobs
- Principal Architect
- Senior Manager, Sales
- Account Executive
- Account Manager
- Systems Consultant
- Assurance Director
- Solution Consultant
- Consultant, Sales
- Project Manager
- Business Development Executive
- Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Other notable Fortune 500 companies hiring remote workers
Many Fortune 500 companies also end up in FlexJobs' annual "100 Top Companies with Remote Jobs" list. I've extracted some of those companies from their list to highlight less traditionally technical positions they have hired in the past.
In the past, UnitedHealth Group has offered remote jobs for business analysts, product managers, nurse practitioners, executive assistants, case managers, training consultants, and online instructional designers. View jobs.
American Express has offered remote jobs for positions including membership consultant, travel counselor, special agent, project manager, lifestyle specialist, and customer care professional. View jobs.
Oracle has hired for remote jobs in the past, including principal Java developers, sales consultants, quality assurance analysts, technology sales representatives, recruiters, and senior IT consultants. View jobs.
Cigna in the past has hired as trading assistants, supervising physicians, risk adjustment leaders, virtual desktop infrastructure engineers, and nurse case managers. View jobs.
The Hartford has hired virtual workers for jobs, including clinical team leaders, senior staff attorneys, outside property adjusters, equipment breakdown specialists, and claims account executives. View jobs.