With Thanksgiving around the corner hosts and hostesses are thinking about holiday preparations. Some find it stressful, others feel joyful about it. Either way, it's easy to lose sight of the spirit of Thanksgiving, including gratitude, kindness, and happiness.
Countless studies have proven the psychological and physical benefits of these attributes. Why not serve up some added encouragement to spread a little happiness at the Thanksgiving table?
An especially joyful family event is made up of a mix of good memories and happy reminders, mingled with an appreciation of the present moment. That sounds easy enough, but some families find it difficult to remain in this frame of mind and buttons can be pushed, making the occasion more stressful than celebratory. Use these questions as prompts to keep an uplifting and fun conversation going. Who knows? As an added bonus you may learn some things about your friends and family that surprise you.
- Aside from the obvious (family, health, job, etc.) what are you most grateful for?
- What's one gift or talent you have that makes you most happy and/or grateful?
- What's one memory that still makes you laugh?
- What is your biggest food failure or the wackiest Holiday/Thanksgiving memory you can share?
- If a UFO filled with friendly aliens landed in your backyard what would you do to make them feel welcomed?
- Name anyone who makes you smile. why?
- What choices have you made in the last five years that you'd thank yourself for making?
- What is the most memorable act of kindness you performed this past year?
- What's the kindest thing someone did for you this past year?
- When you do something nice for someone how do you like them to express their gratitude?
- What scent makes you happy?
- Do you smile at strangers? Why or why not?
- What's something you witnessed recently that reminded you that people are good?
- If you had a realistic wand, what would you change to bring more happiness to this world?
- If you had any 3 wishes what would they be and how/why would they make you happy?
- What one or two simple pleasure make you feel most content?
- What's something enjoyable you get to experience every day that you've come to take for granted?
- What's your happy food?
- What celebrity would you love to meet and why would it make you happy?
- What's the best thing that happened so far today?
- What's the last song you heard that you enjoyed? How did it make you feel, and why?
- How about a movie? Which one have you most enjoyed lately?
- What's one thing you most appreciate about your home and have you taken time to enjoy it recently?
- If you could paint the sky any other color what would it be?
- If you were moving to another country what's one thing you would take with you to remind you of the comforts of home?
- Which one of your six senses (including intuition) most allows you to experience things that make you happy or grateful?
- What one or two things in nature have you appreciated lately?
- If someone were to surprise you with something to make you feel happy and grateful, what would it be?
- What sight or sound is most likely to make you pause to appreciate?
- In what situation(s) do you feel most free to let your silly side show?
- When you're in a bad mood what cheers you up?
- What's your best secret to cheer up someone else?
- What song makes you want to get up and dance?
- What was/is your favorite cartoon?
- What three things (besides food, air, and water) can you not live without?
Add a few questions of your own to customize this little game to your friend and family history. Print out the full list or put the questions on individual pieces of paper and toss them in a dish to pass. Have fun with it!