You probably know Oprah Winfrey as one of the most prominent billionaires on the planet. Did you also know she was fired from her first job as a reporter, because she "didn't have the look" and wouldn't be able to "connect with viewers"?
Here are a few other things you probably didn't know about Oprah:
- She is the daughter of an unmarried teen mother.
- Her family was so poor when she was young that, as a schoolgirl, Oprah was teased for wearing dresses made of potato sacks.
- In 1986, Oprah spoke openly about surviving childhood sexual abuse on a special episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show focusing on the topic.
Oprah is a massively successful woman with a difficult past. This makes her views and opinions on life, business, and the pursuit of happiness well worth considering.
Here are 25 Oprah Winfrey quotes you aren't likely to forget:
- "You can have it all. Just not all at once."
- "I would like to thank the people who've brought me those dark moments, when I felt most wounded, betrayed. You have been my greatest teachers."
- "They say getting thin is the best revenge. Success is much better."
- "I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint -- and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you."
- "One of the hardest things in life to learn is which bridges to cross and which bridges to burn."
- "It's much easier for me to make major life, multimillion-dollar decisions than it is to decide on a carpet for my front porch. That's the truth."
- "Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."
- "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
- "If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away. If he doesn't want you, nothing can make him stay."
- "You don't become what you want, you become what you believe."
- "It makes no difference how many peaks you reach if there was no pleasure in the climb."
- "Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different."
- "So go ahead. Fall down. The world looks different from the ground."
- "When people show you who they are ... believe them!"
- "Dogs are my favorite role models ... I want to love like a dog, with unabashed devotion and complete lack of concern about what people do for a living, how much money they have, or how much they weigh."
- "Your calling isn't something that somebody can tell you about. It's what you feel. It is the thing that gives you juice."
- "I was once afraid of people saying, 'Who does she think she is?' Now I have the courage to stand and say, 'This is who I am.'"
- "The truth is that the naysayers in your life can never be fully satisfied. Whether you hide or shine, they'll always feel threatened because they don't believe they are enough."
- "Wherever you are in your journey, I hope you, too, will keep encountering challenges. It is a blessing to be able to survive them, to be able to keep putting one foot in front of the other--to be in a position to make the climb up life's mountain, knowing that the summit still lies ahead."
- "It doesn't matter who you are, where you come from. The ability to triumph begins with you -- always."
- "I still have my feet on the ground. I just wear better shoes."
- "Even people who believe they deserve to be happy and have nice things often don't feel worthy once they have them."
- "I don't want anyone who doesn't want me."
- "I know for sure that in the final analysis of our lives -- when the to-do lists are no more, when the frenzy is finished, when our e-mail inboxes are empty -- the only thing that will have any lasting value is whether we've loved others and whether they've loved us."
- "My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with."