Whether you need motivation to transform that idea of yours into a functioning business or just need a little boost when you're down in the dumps, it's never a bad idea to seek wisdom from bright and successful minds who've experienced it all before. Fortunately, from Steve Jobs to Thomas Edison to Richard Branson, there's no shortage of sources to turn to when you need it most.
So if you're looking for serious inspiration to combat the daily struggles of startup life, here are 25 uplifting quotes to get you through.
1. "Diligence is the mother of good luck."--Benjamin Franklin
2. "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." --Steve Jobs, co-founder, chairman and CEO of Apple
3. "Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right."--Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company
4. "Chase the vision, not the money; the money will end up following you."--Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos
5. "Starting your own business is like riding a roller coaster. There are highs and lows and every turn you take is another twist. The lows are really low, but the highs can be really high. You have to be strong, keep your stomach tight, and ride along with the roller coaster that you started."--Lindsay Manseau, photographer and entrepreneur
6. "As long as you're going to be thinking anyway, think big." --Donald Trump, president of the Trump Organization
7. "The value of an idea lies in the using of it."--Thomas Edison, co-founder of General Electric
8. "Bad shit is coming. It always is in a startup. The odds of getting from launch to liquidity without some kind of disaster happening are one in a thousand. So don't get demoralized."--Paul Graham, co-founder of Y Combinator
9. "Make every detail perfect and limit the number of details to perfect."--Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter
10. "What do you need to start a business? Three simple things: know your product better than anyone, know your customer, and have a burning desire to succeed."--Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's
11. "Don't worry about failure; you only have to be right once." --Drew Houston, co-founder and CEO of Dropbox
12. "Nothing works better than just improving your product."-- Joel Spolsky, co-founder of Stack Overflow
13. "The best startups generally come from somebody needing to scratch an itch."--Michael Arrington, founder and co-editor of TechCrunch
14. "Any time is a good time to start a company."--Ron Conway, investor, SV angel
15. "The only thing worse than starting something and failing... is not starting something."--Seth Godin, founder of Squidoo, author, blogger
16. "Ideas are commodity. Execution of them is not." --Michael Dell, chairman and CEO of Dell
17. "You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing and falling over."--Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group
18. "I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours, nor amount of labor, nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me. And I have done that ever since, and I win by it. I know."--Harland Sanders, founder of KFC
19. "I knew that if I failed I wouldn't regret that, but I knew the one thing I might regret is not trying." --Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon
20. "Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve." --Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics
21. "It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day hard work of running a business and completely forget that while solving problems and building something you can be proud of, you also have an incredible opportunity to shape the future. Even better, you have the chance to meet amazing people and do amazing things along the way. It's important not to get lost among the trees and forget about the amazing, beautiful forest you're planting."--Colin Wright, co-founder of Asymmetrical Press
22. "If you're passionate about something and you work hard, then I think you will be successful." --Pierre Omidyar, founder and chairman of eBay
23. "Don't be a lone wolf. Lean on the experience and smarts of your teammates, investors, and mentors to help solve the tough problems and take advantage of the opportunities."-- Seth Bannon, founder and CEO of Amicus
24. "You just have to pay attention to what people need and what has not been done."--Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam
25. "Don't be afraid to assert yourself, have confidence in your abilities and don't let the bastards get you down."--Michael Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg L.P.
What quotes have inspired you during your startup days?