Society's handbook seems to come with two sections: The first, all the things we can and should acknowledge. The second, all the things better kept hidden beneath the rug.
However, we all know as difficult as it can be to admit some of these things, we are ultimately better for it. After all, it's the acknowledging that helps us grow.
So, let's do some acknowledging...
1. None of us have any idea what we're doing. We kind of do. We sort of get it. We know enough to get started. But come on, we're all just improvising as we go here.
2. Nothing is forever. As much as we would like it to be, that's just not the case. Seasons change, as does every other element of life.
3. Everyone has their own agenda. It's just the honest truth--and ultimately, it's OK. We're all out here trying to build a life for ourselves.
4. Perfection is relative. As much as you might think you're right, you are only "right" in the context of your own definition of "right." Wrap your head around that one.
5. You don't owe anybody anything. At the end of the day, you have to make the right decision for YOU--not the other person.
6. Nobody is going to believe in you until you believe in yourself first. If your response to this starts with the word, "But..." then you're already off track.
7. Everyone is self-conscious about something. It's not just you. It's all of us.
8. What you give is what you get. Cliché and yet so easily forgotten. If your life isn't what you want it to be, you need to reflect before you start pointing fingers.
9. Money is not a direct reflection of worth. Easier said than done for a lot of people. Just remember what's truly important in life.
10. Being average is a choice. Greatness is the result of good, tiny habits executed day after day after day.
11. You are a reflection of the people you spend the most time with. Be conscious of who your friends are, and where you invest your time. It ultimately shapes who you become.
12. Achievement is fleeting. I know you think that Ferrari is going to solve all your problems, but it's not. Instead, focus on what you are hoping the achievement will fulfill in you.
13. Anything can be an escape. "Drugs are bad, mmk" doesn't quite cover the landscape. People, places, and things can be just as destructive.
14. It's easier to love the idea of something than it is to love the journey. Everybody wants to be a rock star. The question is whether or not you love the tumultuous road it takes to get there.
15. You become who you decide you are going to be. If you wait for life to wake you up and give you everything you've ever dreamed of, you'll stay asleep forever.
16. Friends come and go based on where it is you yourself want to go. It's part of the process. Be thankful for those that stay for multiple chapters.
17. Consistency outperforms raw talent. You may think practicing a little bit each day isn't enough, but it is. Dedication is what separates the good from the great.
18. You always have a choice. In the moment, you might feel like you're backed into a corner, but the truth is you always have options.
19. Nothing happens alone. You need others in order to succeed. After all, the Game of Life is not a One Player game.