The road to success is long, exciting, messy, stressful, and scary. No matter how many times you hear it, you'll really never understand until you understand.
An entrepreneur, by definition, is a person who takes a greater than normal risk to organize and operate an organization. You're building something that doesn't exist. You're going to want to throw in the towel and you're going to want to shout your excitement from the rooftops.
For me, staying motivated during the lowest points was the most difficult. It's human nature to want to make the bad things just disappear, or even ignore their existence to "deal with it later" - just ask my business manager about 23 year-old me (hi Lisa!).
Knowing that I tend to procrastinate and that life isn't always going to be perfect, I've collected quotes from people I admire that I repeat to myself whenever I'm going "to the dark place." You should too.
- "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." - Warren Buffett
- "Don't be intimidated by what you don't know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else." - Sarah Blakely
- "When you hit a wrong note, its the next note that makes it good or bad." - Miles Davis
- "When you want to succeed as bas as you want to breathe, then you will be successful." - Eric Thomas
- "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
- "Look in the mirror. That's your competition." - Eric Thomas
- "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less." - General Eric Shinseki
- "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison
- "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson
- "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." --Maya Angelou
- "The question isn't who's going to let me; it's who's going to stop me." --Ayn Rand
"You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over." - Sir Richard Branson
"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - Bill Gates
"Ideas are easy. Implementation is hard." - Guy Kawasaki
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford
"There's lots of bad reasons to start a company. But there's only one good, legitimate reason, and I think you know what it is: it's to change the world." - Phil Libin
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
"It's almost always harder to raise capital than you thought it would be, and it always takes longer. So plan for that." - Richard Harroch
""Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. Pro and con lists are just as bad. If it's important to you and you want to do it "eventually," just do it and correct course along the way." - Timothy Ferriss
And finally, my favorite of all time (fun fact: I have this tattooed on my body) from living legend/superhero/#girlboss, Sophia Amoruso:
"Remember that it's magic, and you made it yourself."