It's no secret that swimmer Michael Phelps is an Olympic phenomenon. The winner of (at last count) 25 gold medals, 2 silver, and 2 bronze, Phelps has dominated the Olympics since the 2004 Athens games.
But there's more to Michael Phelps than being one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's also an inspiration to anyone who wants to be the best they can be--in life or on the job--or to regain their mojo after facing extreme adversity (Phelps very publicly dealt with substance abuse issues).
Here are 15 quotes from Michael Phelps that will inspire your own success.
1. "Things won't go perfect. It's all about how you adapt from those things and learn from mistakes."
2. "I like to just think of myself as a normal person who just has a passion, has a goal and a dream and goes out and does it. And that's really how I've always lived my life."
3. "You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get."
4. "If you want to be the best, you have to do things that other people aren't willing to do."
5. "I want to test my maximum and see how much I can do."
6. "I found something I love...and never gave up."
7. "So many people along the way, whatever it is you aspire to do, will tell you it can't be done. But all it takes is imagination. You dream. You plan. You reach."
8. "I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time."
9. "I have the opportunity to be part of swimming history. To take the sport to a new level would be an honor for me. There's no better time to try this than now."
10. "I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything."
11. "I won't predict anything historic. But nothing is impossible."
12. "I want to be able to look back and say, 'I've done everything I can, and I was successful.' I don't want to look back and say I should have done this or that."
13. "If you say 'can't' you're restricting what you can do or ever will do."
14. "I wouldn't say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it."
15. "It doesn't matter what else is going on. When you walk into your arena or your - whatever you excel at--you're there to take care of the job that you have to do."