In the early 1980s, viewers of US television show, The Joy of Painting, watched American artist Bob Ross demonstrate how to paint ocean scenes, mountain ranges, and forest settings full of "happy little trees." Members of Ross's fan base weren't just watching a 26-minute-long painting lesson -- they were being soothed, encouraged, and taught to be the best artists they could be.
Over the course of his lifetime, Ross completed 30,000 paintings and inspired millions of people. Even now, decades after his passing, Ross and his business -- Bob Ross, Inc., which sells painting supplies and teaches Certified Ross Instructors -- continue to influence artists and non-artists alike.
Here are 17 remarkably wise Bob Ross quotes that will inspire you too:
1. "We don't make mistakes -- we just have happy accidents."
2. "Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere -- you only have to look to see it."
3. "In your world, you can do anything that you want."
4. "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, because that's where the fruit is!"
5. "Painting is a nice way to put a happy buck in your pocket, and to make good things happen in your heart."
6. "You can do it! I know you can."
7. "Any way you want it to be, that's just right."
8. "Gotta have opposites dark and light, light and dark in painting. It's like in life. Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
9. "Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do."
10. "I guess I'm a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That's okay though; I have more fun than most people."
11. "I really believe that if you practice enough you could paint the Mona Lisa with a two-inch brush."
12. "It's so important to do something every day that will make you happy."
13. "Ever make mistakes in life? Let's make them birds. Yeah, they're birds now."
14. "I think there's an artist hidden at the bottom of every single one of us."
15. "It's hard to see things when you are too close. Take a step back and look."
16. "We don't laugh because we feel good, we feel good because we laugh."
17. "Didn't you know you had that much power? You can move mountains. You can do anything."
Bob Ross taught us how to paint, but most of all, his wise words taught us to enjoy life too.