Actress, author, and screenwriter Carrie Fisher--who sadly died this morning after suffering a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles--was an inspiration to millions of people around the world. While she achieved everlasting fame for her role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars film franchise, she faced tremendous challenges for much of her life.
Regardless, Carrie Fisher will be long be remembered for her wit and wisdom, and for her courage to be her own true self. Here then are 17 Carrie Fisher quotes to inspire your own success and happiness.
1. "There is no point at which you can say, 'Well, I'm successful now. I might as well take a nap."
2. "Instant gratification takes too long."
3. "Everything is negotiable. Whether or not the negotiation is easy is another thing."
4. "Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow."
5. "I'll never be known for my work with boundaries."
6. "What I always wanna tell young people know: Pay attention. This isn't gonna happen again."
7. "Writing is a very calming thing for me."
8. "I don't want my life to imitate art, I want my life to be art."
9. "It's important to be able to distinguish the difference between a problem and an inconvenience."
10. "Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
11. "Your innermost urges will tell you what strategy to employ to accomplish your special purpose while doing the work you enjoy."
12. "The older you get, the easier it is to spot the phonies."
13. "Going through challenging things can teach you a lot, and they also make you appreciate the times that aren't so challenging."
<14. "Youth and beauty are not accomplishments."
15. "Along with aging comes life experience, so in every way that is consistent with even being human, Leia has changed."
16. "You're not really famous until you're a Pez dispenser."
17. "I heard someone say once that many of us only seem able to find heaven by backing away from hell. And while the place that I've arrived at in my life may not precisely be everyone's idea of heavenly, I could swear sometimes--I hear angels sing."