Do you have thick skin, or are you easily affected by the critiques of others?
You will face criticism at every step towards success--its part of every career, every business, every life. Sometimes it is given with good intentions, but poorly communicated.
Occasionally, criticism will be from those closest to you--your boss, your coworkers, your loved ones. And in other instances, it will come from people you don't even know--customers, commenters on social media, and others. Regardless of the source or the intent, criticism is hard to completely avoid. Just ask someone like Elon Musk.
Even if it is easy for others to criticize you or your work, remember that it doesn't have to be hard to handle the criticism itself. In fact, you may even learn to love it. Here are 17 quotes that will teach you a thing or two about effectively dealing with criticism.
1. "Often those that criticize others reveal what he himself lacks." -- Shannon L. Alder
2. "Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -- Jean Sibelius
3. "Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions...Do your thing, and don't care if they like it." -- Tina Fey
4. "Don't be distracted by criticism. Remember, the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you." -- Zig Ziglar
5. "Do not let arrogance go to your head and despair to your heart; do not let compliments go to your head and criticisms to your heart; do not let success go to your head and failure to your heart." -- Roy T. Bennett
6. "All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed--only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle." -- Nikola Tesla
7. "The final proof of greatness lies in being able to endure criticism without resentment." -- Elbert Hubbard
8. "He who throws dirt always loses ground." -- Unknown
9. "We need very strong ears to hear ourselves judged frankly, and because there are few who can endure frank criticism without being stung by it, those who venture to criticize us perform a remarkable act of friendship, for to undertake to wound or offend a man for his own good is to have a healthy love for him." -- Michel de Montaigne
10. "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. "Some people talk about other people's failures with so much pleasure that you would swear they are talking about their own successes." -- Mokokoma Mokhonoana
12. "Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn--and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." -- Dale Carnegie
13. "The trouble with most of us is that we'd rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." -- Norman Vincent Peale
14. "The dread of criticism is the death of genius." -- William Gilmore Simms
15. "The motive behind criticism often determines its validity. Those who care criticize where necessary. Those who envy criticize the moment they think that they have found a weak spot." -- Criss Jami
16. "Never explain, never retract, never apologize. Just get the thing done and let them howl." -- Nellie McClung
17. "There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." -- Aristotle