"Picture your brain forming new connections as you meet the challenge and learn. Keep on going." -- Carol Dweck
According to Stanford psychologist Carol Dweck, when we have a "growth mindset," we believe that our intelligence, creative abilities, and character are things that we can improve in meaningful ways. We can always learn and get better at what we do.
Dweck, author of Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, asserts that adopting a growth mindset can help us succeed more and be happier -- both at work and in our lives.
Here are 17 quotes that will inspire and motivate you to embrace and develop your own growth mindset -- and get more out of your work, and your life.
1. "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
2. "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson
3. "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." -- Margaret Thatcher
4. "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
5. "Challenges are what make life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Joshua Marine
6. "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." -- George Bernard Shaw
7. "The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss." -- Thomas Carlyle
8. "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney
9. "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -- Napoleon Hill
10. "Becoming is better than being." -- Carol Dweck
11. "The problem human beings face is not that we aim too high and fail, but that we aim too low and succeed." -- Michelangelo
12. "We find comfort among those who agree with us, and growth among those who don't." -- Frank A. Clark
13. "A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake." -- Confucius
14. "Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must also step up the stairs." -- Vaclav Havel
15. "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." -- Unknown
16. "Everybody dies, but not everybody lives." -- A. Sachs
17. "My dad encouraged us to fail. Growing up, he would ask us what we failed at that week. If we didn't have something, he would be disappointed. It changed my mindset at an early age that failure is not the outcome, failure is not trying. Don't be afraid to fail." -- Sara Blakely