These days, the internet has truly overtaken books for learning new things. However, if anything, books remain even more powerful than the internet today. The internet can teach you any fact you might want to know, but it rarely can teach you the wisdom and life lessons a book can.
A book can be a way to live someone else's life while learning the same lessons they learned over many years. For just a bit of time dedicated to reading each day, you can learn the wisdom of the world's greatest leaders, entrepreneurs, and thinkers. Or you can just drift away to a different land, a different time, or a different life -- allowing your book to carry you wherever its story might go.
Here are 17 powerful quotes that will inspire you to start reading right now.
1. "Reading is an exercise in empathy; an exercise in walking in someone else's shoes for a while." -- Malorie Blackman
2. "No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting." -- Mary Wortley Montagu
3. "Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers." -- Harry S Truman
4. "It is not true that 'we have only one life to live,' if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish." -- S.I. Hayakawa
5. "When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue -- you sell him a whole new life." -- Christopher Morley
6. "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." -- Albert Einstein
7. "Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." -- Mason Cooley
8. "A book is a dream that you hold in your hand." -- Neil Gaiman
9. "Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." -- Margaret Fuller
10. "Reading is an exercise in empathy; an exercise in walking in someone else's shoes for a while." -- Malorie Blackman
11. "Reading is an act of civilization; it's one of the greatest acts of civilization because it takes the free raw material of the mind and builds castles of possibilities." -- Ben Okri
12. "Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -- Joseph Addison
13. "Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere." -- Mary Schmich
14. "Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere." -- Jean Rhys
15. "Reading -- even browsing -- an old book can yield sustenance denied by a database search." -- James Gleick
16. "I read a book one day and my whole life was changed." -- Orhan Pamuk
17. "One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time." -- Carl Sagan