Yesterday, Marianne Williamson announced that she was dropping out of the presidential race. But being a presidential hopeful is not the only thing that Marianne Williamson is known for.
Williamson is an entrepreneur, a lecturer and activist, and a successful author, having written 13 books--four of which are New York Times number-one bestsellers. Her first venture was a metaphysical bookstore that she started up in Houston in the late '70s, and she later co-founded the Peace Alliance--a nonprofit grassroots education and advocacy organization supporting peace-building projects--and for a time served as a spiritual guide to Oprah Winfrey.
Naturally, there is much we can learn from her entrepreneurial and spiritual journey, as well as her words of wisdom. Here are 17 Marianne Williamson quotes that will bring inspiration into your career, business, and life.
1. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?"
2. "As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence actually liberates others."
3. "Maturity includes the recognition that no one is going to see anything in us that we don't see in ourselves. Stop waiting for a producer. Produce yourself."
4. "Until we have seen someone's darkness, we don't really know who they are. Until we have forgiven someone's darkness, we don't really know what love is."
5. "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it."
6. "Nothing liberates our greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve."
7. "We're often afraid of looking at our shadow because we want to avoid the shame or embarrassment that comes along with admitting mistakes."
8. "America won't be saved because one or 10 people stand up. It will be saved because millions of us stand up."
9. "Try to see the good in others. When you're tempted to judge someone, make an effort to see their goodness. Your willingness to look for the best in people will subconsciously bring it forth."
10. "Anytime you try to be a loving person, you're doing your part to save the world."
11. "There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do."
12. "Each of us has a unique part to play in the healing of the world."
13. "Only do what you feel called in your heart to do, and then give all of yourself to the task."
14. "Love is the essential reality and our purpose on earth. To be consciously aware of it, to experience love in ourselves and others, is the meaning of life. Meaning does not lie in things. Meaning lies in us."
15. "Our key to transforming anything lies in our ability to reframe it."
16. "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are."
17. "We are not held back by the love we didn't receive in the past, but by the love we're not extending in the present."