If you think a lot about winning, there's a good chance you spend your time worrying about losing, too.
No matter what world or industry you're in, it can be easy to think of your environment as cut-throat or competitive, especially if the pressure to succeed is constant and intense. Competing with and comparing yourself to others can set you up for jealousy, stress, and exhaustion.
Here are 17 quotes to help you remember that there is more to life than competing with others. Take time to enjoy the ride.
1. "Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... do your thing, and don't care if they like it." -- Tina Fey
2. "The ultimate victory in competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of knowing that you have done your best and that you have gotten the most out of what you had to give." -- Howard Cosell
3. "There's competition at every phase of your life. The day we start thinking about it, you lose your peace of mind. I don't compete with anyone." -- Rakul Preet Singh
4. "The biggest competition is myself. I am not looking to follow others or pull them down. I'm planning to test my own boundaries." -- Rain
5. "Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best that you are capable of becoming." -- John Wooden
6. "Your life is your own unique journey -- it is unlike a journey any other person, before you or after you, will ever take." -- Shon Mehta
7. "Do your work with your whole heart, and you will succeed -- there's so little competition." -- Elbert Hubbard
8. "To collaborative team members, completing one another is more important than competing with one another." -- John Maxwell
9. "To me, teamwork is the beauty of our sport, where you have five acting as one. You become selfless." -- Mike Krzyzewski
10. "Personality begins where comparison leaves off. Be unique. Be memorable. Be confident. Be proud." -- Shannon L. Alder
11. "There's always competition in the world, but you don't have to be enemies. You can empower each other." -- Justine Skye
12. "The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday." --Unknown
13. "Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character." -- T. Alan Armstrong
14. "Life is not a competition. Life is about helping and inspiring others so we can each reach our potential." -- Kim Chase
15. "Winning is important to me, but what brings me real joy is the experience of being fully engaged in whatever I'm doing." -- Phil Jackson
16. "As a music industry, if we remain in competition, then we die. We have to understand that we're all in this together. Collaboration and synergy, it's one of the most important things out there." -- Scooter Braun
17. "A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it, it just blooms." -- Zen Shin
It's important to do your best and work hard, but it's equally important to remember that life itself is not a competition. Showing up to compete can yield business success but challenging yourself in healthy ways while feeling empowered can yield joy and happiness.