We get so much instant gratification from text messages and social media these days that we may forget that sometimes the best things in life aren't delivered to us instantly or on demand.
The perfect job will not arrive immediately into your life, and neither will your ideal spouse or dream achievement. Good things often take time. In case you have forgotten the reasons why patience is most certainly a particularly powerful virtue, here are 17 wise quotes to remind you why.
1. "One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life." -- Chinese Proverb
2. "Two things define you: Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything." -- George Bernard Shaw
3. "To lose patience is to lose the battle." -- Mahatma Gandhi
4. "When you encounter various trials, big or small, be full of joy. They're opportunities to learn patience." -- Scott Curran
5. "Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success." -- Brian Adams
6. "If we want to live wider and deeper lives, not just faster ones, we have to practice patience -- patience with ourselves, with other people, and with the big and small circumstances of life itself." -- M. J. Ryan
7. "One of the paradoxes of life is that being impatient often makes it harder to achieve something. As with any skill, you get better at manifesting the more you practice." -- Simon Foster
8. "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -- Leo Tolstoy
9. "I take things as they come and find that patience and persistence tend to win out in the end." -- Paul Kane
10. "Learning patience can be a difficult experience, but once conquered you will find life is easier." -- Catherine Pulsifer
11. "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience." -- George-Louis de Buffon
12. "Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -- Napoleon Hill
13. "Patience is the ornament of the brave. Patience is the real badge of courage; it is equally the mark of love." -- Eknath Easwaran
14. "Many a man has left the dock just before his ship came in. Time has great power to solve problems. Counsel patience." -- Wilfred Peterson
15. "Only those who have patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily." -- James J. Corbett
16. "Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come." -- Robert H. Schuller
17. "Our real blessings often appear to us in the shape of pains, losses,and disappointments; but let us have patience and we soon shall see them in their proper figures." -- Joseph Addison
When you are driven and ambitious, the mere idea of having to wait for the things you are pursuing can feel tortuous. Rest assured, the road to success often requires taking a path of patience. So relax and enjoy the ride.