Dress for the job -- and the life -- you want.
Not all of us are born with the best fashion sense right off the bat. Acquiring good style can take time, and it even requires a healthy amount of self-reflection. Before you learn how, exactly, to dress sharp for professional business meetings (or even just for everyday life), you may want to check out some words of inspiration from 17 of the world's greatest fashion icons.
1. "Elegance is not standing out, but being remembered." -- Giorgio Armani
2. "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." -- Coco Chanel
3. "Shoes transform your body language and attitude. They lift you physically and emotionally." -- Christian Louboutin
4. "Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It's not about brands. It's about something else that comes from within you." -- Ralph Lauren
5. "Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it." -- Yves Saint Laurent
6. "What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is instant language." -- Miuccia Prada
7. "A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view." -- Sophia Lauren
8. "Don't be into trends. Don't make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live." -- Gianni Versace
9. "Fashion is the armor to survive the reality of everyday life." -- Bill Cunningham
10. "Style is a reflection of your attitude and your personality." -- Shawn Ashmore
11. "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." -- Audrey Hepburn
12. "To me, clothing is a form of self-expression -- there are hints about who you are in what you wear." -- Marc Jacobs
13. "Fashion wasn't what you wore someplace anymore; it was the whole reason for going." -- Andy Warhol
14. "Elegance is a question of personality, more than one's clothing." -- Jean-Paul Gaultier
15. "Fashion is a tool...to compete in life outside the home. People like you better, without knowing why, because people always react well to a person they like the looks of." -- Mary Quant
16. "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." -- Gore Vidal
17. "Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slave of the ordinary." -- Cecil Beaton
No need for expensive clothes or fancy brands. Looks and appearance aren't everything, but self-expression through fashion will certainly add some fun and sparkle to your life.