Today, Serena Williams is set to play what may very well be the match of her life when she plays the final at the 2018 Wimbledon Championships. Whatever the outcome of today's match, Serena is at the pinnacle of the sport of tennis, and it's going to be quite difficult for anyone to jump over the extremely high bar that she has set during the course of her storied career.
To date, Serena has won 23 singles Grand Slam tournament titles (the record is held by Australian Margaret Court, who won 24), four Olympic gold medals, and more than $84 million in prize money. In addition, she is an entrepreneur who has her own independent clothing line and she serves on the board of SurveyMonkey.
Serena Williams is a tremendous success and an inspiration. Here are 17 Serena Williams quotes sure to inspire you to success, too.
1. "I don't like to lose -- at anything -- yet I've grown most not from victories, but setbacks."
2. "Everyone's dream can come true if you just stick to it and work hard."
3. "You have to believe in yourself when no one else does."
4. "It doesn't matter what your background is or where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that's all that matters."
5. "Growing up I wasn't the richest, but I had a rich family in spirit."
6. "If Plan A isn't working, I have Plan B, Plan C, and even Plan D."
7. "Don't let anyone work harder than you do."
8. "I am lucky that whatever fear I have within me, my desire to win is always stronger."
9. "If you smile, things will work out."
10. "Make sure you're very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble."
11. "I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall."
12. "Victory is very, very sweet. It tastes better than any dessert you've ever had."
13. "If I don't get it right, I don't stop until I do."
14. "Overpower. Overtake. Overcome."
15. "Luck has nothing to do with it, I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come."
16. "If winning is God's reward, then losing is how he teaches us."
17. "Every woman's success should be an inspiration to another. We're strongest when we cheer each other on."