It's no secret that Warren Buffett is one of the most successful investors and businesspeople in the world. However, what is not as well known is that he is also one of the happiest.
While Buffett has built remarkable wealth over the decades, his feet are still firmly planted on the ground. He still lives in the same home in Omaha, Nebraska that he purchased in 1958 for $31,500, he has a soft spot for Utz potato sticks and Cherry Coca-Cola, and he still stops by a local strip mall every once in a while to play bridge with his friends.
So, who better than Warren Buffett to learn valuable lessons on success--and happiness? Here are 17 thoughts from Warren Buffett to inspire and keep you moving forward.
1. "Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing."
2. "Honesty is a very expensive gift. Don't expect it from cheap people."
3. "Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble."
4. "In the world of business, the people who are most successful are those who are doing what they love."
5. "It's better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you'll drift in that direction."
6. "I don't look to jump over seven-foot bars; I look around for one-foot bars that I can step over."
7. "The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything."
8. "The most important investment you can make is in yourself."
9. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."
10. "You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong."
11. "You know...you keep doing the same things and you keep getting the same result over and over again."
12. "It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results."
13. "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago."
14. "You will be successful if the people who you hope to have love you, do love you."
15. "It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price, than a fair company at a wonderful price."
16. "The best thing I did was to choose the right heroes."
17. "You've gotta keep control of your time, and you can't unless you say no. You can't let people set your agenda in life."