A staple for millions of American homes, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was an educational children's television show that taught its young viewers lessons about self-love, kindness, and acceptance. Exactly 51 years ago today, the very first episode of this classic show was taped in the WQED television studio in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
Fred Rogers -- aka Mister Rogers -- with his storytelling and world of make-believe, showed us how to be a good neighbor. Most of all, he showed us how to be a good person. Here are some wise words from this iconic and important figure -- words which will surely brighten your day, and maybe even change your life.
1. "If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person."
2. "The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile."
3. "We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.' Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."
4. "Parents are like shuttles on a loom. They join the threads of the past with threads of the future and leave their own bright patterns as they go."
5. "Nobody else can live the life you live. And even though no human being is perfect, we always have the chance to bring what's unique about us to live in a redeeming way."
6. "Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like 'struggle.' To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now."
7. "It's not so much what we have in this life that matters. It's what we do with what we have."
8. "Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people."
9. "Imagine what our real neighborhoods would be like if each of us offered, as a matter of course, just one kind word to another person."
10. "Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else."
11. "People have said, 'Don't cry' to other people for years and years, and all it has ever meant is, 'I'm too uncomfortable when you show your feelings. Don't cry.' I'd rather have them say, 'Go ahead and cry. I'm here to be with you.'"
12. "There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind."
13. "Solitude is different from loneliness, and it doesn't have to be a lonely kind of thing."
14. "One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation."
15. "I don't think anyone can grow unless he's loved exactly as he is now, appreciated for what he is rather than what he will be."
16. "Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness."
17. "In a way, you've already won in this world because you're the only one who can be you."