There are a myriad of things the world could benefit from having more of. Kindness is one of them. When you are a kind person, you're not only helping others, you are helping yourself, too. There's substantial scientific evidence that being kind makes you -- and others around you -- happy.
In a study conducted by Dr. Sonja Lyubomirsky, psychology professor at University of California, Riverside, students were assigned to do five random acts of kindness per week for a period of six weeks. At the end of the study, the students' levels of happiness had increased by 41.66 percent. Being kind had a profoundly positive effect on happiness.
Here are 25 quotes about kindness to inspire you to help others and be happy as well:
1. "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." -Mark Twain
3. "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. "Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." -George Sand
5. "A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." -William Arthur Ward
6. "Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate." -Albert Schweitzer
7. "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." -Princess Diana
8. "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver."
-Barbara de Angelis
9. "Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." -Scott Adams
10. "One who is kind is sympathetic and gentle with others. He is considerate of others' feelings and courteous in his behavior. He has a helpful nature. Kindness pardons others' weaknesses and faults. Kindness is extended to all -- to the aged and the young, to animals, to those low of station as well as the high." -Ezra Taft Benson
11. "There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity." -Nathaniel Branden
12. "The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." -Aesop
13. "Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness." -Lucius Annaeus Seneca
14. "Because that's what kindness is. It's not doing something for someone else because they can't, but because you can." -Andrew Iskander
15. "You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force."
16. "Always be a little kinder than necessary." -James M. Barrie
17. "Transparency, honesty, kindness, good stewardship, even humor, work in businesses at all times." -John Gerzema
18. "Kind people are the best kind of people." -author unknown
19. "Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." -Theodore Isaac Rubin
20. "Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." -Henry James
21. "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." -Amelia Earhart
22. "How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it!" -George Elliston
23. "One who knows how to show and to accept kindness will be a friend better than any possession." -Sophocles
24. "He that has done you a kindness will be more ready to do you another, than he whom you yourself have obliged." -Benjamin Franklin