A leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others see, and who sees before others see. --Leroy Eimes
I think my greatest lessons on how to be an extraordinary leader have come from my own observations of very poor leaders. So much can be learned from the blunders of others. All of us are leaders in some capacity in our lives--from leading ourselves, to leading a team of 500. Knowing how to lead is a skill you can and should have.
But what sets an extraordinary leader apart from all the other leaders in the world? Could you possibly be one of them?
Here are 27 signs you are much more than just an ordinary leader.
1. You care about how others feel.
3. You selflessly help others.
4. You encourage others to speak to you freely.
5. You are always open to suggestions.
7. You treat everyone with the same respect you show to your friends and family.
8. You always say "We succeeded together" when describing victories, never taking all the credit.
9. You are not afraid to ask others for help when you need it.
10. You are constantly pushing yourself to learn new things and are extremely inquisitive.
11. You dream impossible dreams and find a way to make them happen.
12. You are able to admit your mistakes and fix them as quickly as possible.
13. Your focus is on team success, not your own individual success.
14. You always see the bright side of any given situation.
15. You are driven to make a difference.
16. You are highly responsible and make sure things get done.
17. You always keep calm--even when all hell is breaking loose.
18. You're not afraid to think outside the box and break some rules.
19. You know when to step back and let someone else take the lead.
20. You are very careful about how you carry yourself in front of others, being sure to always set a good example.
21. You have an innate ability to influence others, yet make them feel they are making their own decisions.
22. You inspire others to do their best and get things done.
23. You trust and listen to your inner voice frequently.
24. You don't let failure keep you down and instead learn from it and become better.
25. You are a master at delegating--always keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses of those on your team.
26. You are not afraid to speak up in the face of adversity--doing the right and ethical thing is important to you.
27. Your energy seems endless--you love what you do.