It doesn't matter how calm and easygoing you may be on the job--stress can still sneak up on you when you least expect it. Left unchecked, stress can contribute to heart disease, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and more.
Luckily, many stressors can be prevented, and are even within your control. Eliminating stress from your life will take more than just wishful thinking. So, here is a comprehensive list of things you can do to keep your inner peace.
1. Practice deep breathing 5 or 10 minutes each day.
2. Enjoy a hobby.
3. Get a massage.
4. Take an Epsom salt bath.
5. Go on a hike.
6. Write your thoughts and feelings in a journal.
7. Call your friends or family for support.
9. Try progressive muscle relaxation (PMR).
10. Spend time with loved ones.
11. Take a nap.
12. See a therapist.
13. Remember a time when you overcame an obstacle.
15. Drink a cup of tea.
17. If religious, attend religious services.
18. Think of someone who brings joy into your life.
19. Watch a favorite TV show.
20. Draft a list of things you are grateful for.
21. Stretch for 10 minutes.
22. Get creative--draw or paint.
23. Cook a meal you know and love.
24. Read a book.
25. Listen to music.
26. Practice using positive self-talk.
27. Make a plan to meet a goal.
28. Explore a new place in your city.
29. Do yoga or pilates.
32. Take a dance class.
33. Consider doing less work.
34. Chew gum.
35. Practice saying "no" to new responsibilities.
36. Get a full night's sleep.
37. Volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen.
38. Sing your heart out.
39. Hug a loved one.
40. Ask for help.
41. Limit alcohol intake.
42. Plan a trip with friends.
43. Identify sources of stress at work and find solutions.
44. Do not skip meals.
45. Get a mentor.
46. Rest if you feel sick.
47. Replace looking at screens with looking at the green in nature.
48. Plan your schedule, and prioritize being on time for appointments.
49. Go to a comedy show.
50. Peel an orange (research says citrus smells reduce stress).
52. Take a mental health day.
53. Eat a banana (research says eating a banana can stave off stress).
55. Eat chocolate (research says that eating dark chocolate can reduce stress).