"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." -- Buddha
Your happiness is important. The benefits of being happy range from being more engaged and effective in your job, to bolstering your immune system, to helping you live longer. And there are, of course, the inherent good feelings that we have the opportunity to enjoy when we are happy. Who doesn't want that?
These 17 happiness quotes will lift your spirits and give you that very special happiness glow.
1. "Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you." -- Mary Lou Retton
2. "Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy." -- Thich Nhat Hanh
3. "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -- Mahatma Gandhi
4. "The way to choose happiness is to follow what is right and real, the truth for you. You can never be happy living someone else's dream. Live your own. Then you will know the meaning of happiness for sure."-- Oprah Winfrey
5. "If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours." -- Dolly Parton
6. "You don't need too many people to be happy, just a few real ones who appreciate you for who you are." -- Wiz Khalifa
7. "Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Each moment is all we need, not more." -- Mother Teresa
8. "The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet." -- James Oppenheim
9. "Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you. -- Ralph Marston
10. "Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is." -- Mandy Hale
11. "Be crazy. Be stupid. Be silly. Be weird. Be whatever. Because life is too short to be anything but happy." -- Unknown
12. "Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present." -- Jim Rohn
13. "Happiness comes from you. No one else can make you happy. You make you happy." -- Beyonce
14. "If only we'd stop trying to be happy we could have a pretty good time." -- Edith Wharton
15. "Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." -- Nathaniel Hawthorne
16. "The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be." -- Marcel Pagnol.
17. "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections." -- Unknown