There's a song that is popular right now about a man who meets a much older man in a bar. They strike up a conversation about everything under the sun, and then after a while they go their separate ways, happy to have shared a small part of their lives with each other. Later in the song, the young man reads the obituaries, and to his disbelief, the man he met in the bar has died. But the biggest surprise was yet to come: The older man left him his entire fortune -- just because of that one memorable encounter.
Some people may think it takes a huge act of kindness to get someone's attention -- but in reality, some of the smallest gestures are often not only the most appreciated but also the most memorable.
Here are 17 quotes about kindness that will hopefully inspire you to spread a bit more of it in your world -- at work, at home, and all around you.
- "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." --Aesop
- "Be kind to unkind people -- they need it the most." --Unknown
- "There are no such things as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." --Scott Adams
- "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again." --Og Mandino
- "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." --Princess Diana
- "Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They're underused." --Tommy Lee Jones
- "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." --Dalai Lama
- "Extend yourself in kindness to other human beings wherever you can." --Oprah Winfrey
- "Let us learn to live with kindness, to love everyone, even when they do not love us." --Pope Francis
- "One who knows how to show and to accept kindness will be a friend better than any possession." --Sophocles
- "When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." --Abraham Joshua Heschel
- "Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart." --Kahlil Gibran
- "Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much." --Blaise Pascal
- "Act with kindness, but do not expect gratitude." --Confucius
- "Getting money is not all a man's business: To cultivate kindness is a valuable part of the business of life." --Samuel Johnson
- "First and foremost, we need to be the adults we want our children to be. We should watch our own gossiping and anger. We should model the kindness we want to see." --Brené Brown
- "Kindness is showing someone they matter." --Unknown