"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." - Anonymous
If you find yourself concerned that others will write you off as "obsessed" when it comes to your goals and dreams, then it looks like you're on the right track.
Not everyone has what it takes to be a leader in their field, but it appears that there is a common thread among the ones who do -- they're obsessed.
Obsessed with working, obsessed with the idea of success, obsessed with being obsessed. They are willing to put everything on the line for what they hope to achieve, and many rise to the top because of it.
Here's what successful leaders talk about when they talk obsession:
- "The average call me obsessed, the successful call me for advice." -- Grant Cardone, Author and Self-Made Millionaire
- "My obsession is to make women beautiful. When you create with that in mind, things can't go out of fashion." -- Azzedine Alaïa, One of the Greatest and "Most Uncompromising" Designers of the 20th and 21st Centuries
- "People just don't understand how obsessed I am with winning." -- Kobe Bryant, Legendary Basketball Player
- "I've been called many names like perfectionist, difficult, and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details for any artist to be good." -- Barbra Streisand, 10-time Grammy Award Winning Singer and 2-time Oscar Winner
- "There's no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession. Talent does not exist. We are all equals as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top, and that's that. I am not talented. I am obsessed." -- Conor McGregor, MMA Fighting Champion
- "When I think about it, the happiest and most successful people I know don't just love what they do, they're obsessed with solving something that matters to them. They remind me of a dog chasing a tennis ball: Their eyes go a little crazy, the leash snaps and they go bounding off, plowing through whatever gets in the way." -- Drew Houston, Dropbox CEO
- "To have long term success as a coach or in any position of leadership, you have to be obsessed in some way." -- Pat Riley, Head Coach of 5 Championship Basketball Teams
- "I'm obsessed with perfection. I want to work. I don't want to take this for granted." -- Drake, One of the Most Successful Rappers of All Time
- "In boxing, it is about the obsession of getting the most from yourself: wanting to dominate the world like a hungry young lion." -- Anthony Joshua, Heavyweight Boxing Champion
- "When passion meets inspiration, an obsession is born." -- Anonymous