The Gallup Organization is well known for its surveys on all sorts of topics--from the current state of employee engagement, to presidential job approval ratings, to global economic confidence. Gallup recently partnered with Healthways to determine which states in the United States have the highest and lowest well-being.
The Gallup-Healthways survey measured 5 specific elements of well-being:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
Here are the 15 states with the highest well-being, and the 15 states with the lowest well-being. Is your state on either list?
15 Happiest and Healthiest States
6. South Dakota
15. North Dakota
15 Least Happy and Healthy States
1. West Virginia
11. New York