New year, new you, new...job?
A fresh start to the new year that is quickly approaching asks that we plan for the months ahead -- where do you want to be in the new year? Who do you want to be? What things from the last year do you know you need to get rid of?
For some, we hope to leave behind the jobs or careers that do not fit us. If you're in this group of people ready to make a major transition, here are some inspirational quotes to motivate you to make a successful job or career change in the coming year.
1. "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
2. "Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it." -- Theodore Roosevelt
3. "Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise." -- Author Unknown
4. "Every experience in your life is being orchestrated to teach you something you need to know to move forward." -- Brian Tracy
5. "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." -- Conan O'Brien
6. "Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor." -- Rumi
7. "Don't be afraid to fail. Don't waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK to fail. If you're not failing, you're not growing." -- H. Stanley Judd
8. "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well." -- Martin Luther King
9. "The voyage of discovery is not in looking for new landscapes, but in looking with new eyes." -- Anonymous
10. "Find out what you like doing best and get someone to pay you for doing it." -- Katherine Whitehorn
11. "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." -- Edward Everett Hale
12. "Opportunities don't often come along. So, when they do, you have to grab them." -- Audrey Hepburn
13. "Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure." -- Norman Vincent Peale
14. "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents." -- Andrew Carnegie
15. "Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work -- and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't." -- Lucille Ball
16. "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell
17. "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race." -- Calvin Coolidge
As they say, out with the old and in with the new. Happy job-hunting.