Through her TED Talks on embracing vulnerability and shame, University of Houston professor Brene Brown has gained an enthusiastic audience in recent years. The inspirational author and speaker has proved that she has a way with words, having produced three New York Times No. 1 bestselling books and a number of moving speeches.
Here are 7 things Brown suggests you should seriously think about (and do) to live a happier, more successful--and better--life.
1. Want to be happy? Stop trying to be perfect.
The problem with perfectionism is that we are so focused on the end result that we lose all value in the process. The journey matters more than the destination. Happiness is dependent upon remembering that.
2. What would you be glad you did--even if you failed?
One of the hardest--but most rewarding--things to do is to take risks. Overcoming our daily fears is incredibly daunting, but also the most necessary step in finding true fulfillment.
3. To love ourselves and support one another in the process of becoming real is perhaps the greatest single act of daring greatly.
Being generous with our love, both for ourselves and for those we keep closely around us, is the most meaningful thing we can do. Love fiercely and fully, and don't be afraid to spread it around.
4. What we know matters, but who we are matters more.
We are not defined by what we do, and I think all too often people really forget that. It is so important to feel who we are without needing material goods or hobbies to validate ourselves.
5. We risk missing out on joy when we get busy chasing down the extraordinary.
Sometimes the best things of all are right in front of us; we just can't see them because we're looking at the big picture behind them.
6. Connection is why we're here; it is what gives purpose and meaning to our lives.
There is nothing as essential to happiness as human connection. Positive relationships with co-workers, friends, and family never fail to lift our spirits. Don't be afraid of emotional connection--it gives our stories a person with whom we can share them.
7. Authenticity is a collection of choices we have to make every day.
Being genuine is a habit and a life choice. Choose being honest to yourself every second. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you.